Valued Contributor

Has anyone tried the perfect for one cakes and muffins that you prepare in a mug?

our local store had a bogo on them so thought I would try. I tried the blueberry muffin and I used almond milk instead of the water and it was a nice warm treat with my morning coffee. "Perfect" for me! I might try orange juice next time for the liquid. 

I like to have a go to first thing and then later I start my day with protein.

Super Contributor

Re: New Duncan Hines product

Yes I bought 2 also.  Tried One and half way thru eating it, I checked the sugar content. Whoa,  I got the coffee cake one and It contains 35 grams of sugar per serving.  Gave away both boxes.   Thats the same as eating 18 oreos.  

Respected Contributor

Living alone now, I really applaud the idea of doing things for one.  There are so many of us, that it really makes sense to offer us something we can really appreciate.

But being diabetic, I can't use something that drips in sugar. How about some things that don't rely on sugar alone for flavor?  That's not a bad idea for everyone - diabetic or not.

Super Contributor

me too .. diabetic .. got excited when I first started reading and then

got to the sugar content ... Darn ....

Maybe a sugar free one will show up ....Same with the Bevita Breakfast

Bars .. they were great for a quick ... just for one breakfast with a cup

of coffee .. but could't get passed the carbs.....

Respected Contributor

I saw them in the store, but didn't really know what they were since I rarely buy cake mixes.   I'd try a german chocolate one for sure tho. 

LOL, I'm amazed that anyone is shocked at the sugar content.   Most premade/boxed food has an abundance of either salt, oil/fats, or sugar.   It's the price you pay for convience and doesn't mean it has more than homemade either.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

You need a special mix for a mug cake?  I use a regular mix, fill the mug about half full of mix, plus about 1 Tbsp of oil and enough water to make it batter consistency. Microwave about 2 1/2 min or until it pulls away from the sides. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You need a special mix for a mug cake?  I use a regular mix, fill the mug about half full of mix, plus about 1 Tbsp of oil and enough water to make it batter consistency. Microwave about 2 1/2 min or until it pulls away from the sides. 

Kachina -- I've never heard your recipe.  I am definitely going to give it a try.  How easy!!  Thank you so much for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Eewww another unhealthy food takes over the market. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Elom, you might want to look for mug cake recipes: there are mug cakes for every diet-every taste-any ingredient....

You could even assemble all the dry ingredients (in a small quantity) and have various "mix-ins"-including fresh fruit. All you would have to do is add egg and milk, mug-cake base to a microwave safe mug-or conventional muffin tins. Microwave on high for about 1 min. 20 secs....Breakfast or snack is served-healthy or decadent!

Poodlepet2