Valued Contributor

Re: New Costco member - advice please!

You will need a second refrigerator!
Regular Contributor

I belong to both Sam's and Costco. Right now with the membership I have with Sam's I can shop at 7am, which at this time of year is very convenient, but a new Costco opened closer to me and is easier to get to and so far is quieter than the other two in my area, so I'll see how that works out this holiday season. Costco has gone the way of what Sam's has been doing, clipless coupons, in the beginning Sam's called them evalues and they would be emailed to you and were based on your buying habits. Plus Sam's has limits on the number of items(at savings cost) you can buy which is tracked by your card, I asked at Costco and while they do mention limits in their booklets that is just at one time, they don't track the number of items purchased. I like to see what each one has, so I'll be keeping both memberships.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Persephonel said: You will need a second refrigerator!

This!

We recently got a membership to BJ's.

BJ's has items in smaller bulk quantity than Costco and they sell a wider variety of fresh produce. Between both, we do need another fridge.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

You've gotten great ideas! I also get all generics...benadruyl, excedrin etc. and our car battery was a great price. You need to know your prices Beforehand. And pods for my Keirig. Enjoy!!
Valued Contributor

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-things-not-to-buy-at-costco-and-sams-club-2014-10-08

I saw this article a couple days ago. We LOVE Costco--it is BY FAR our favorite place to shop and we buy anything and everything there---clothes (just got an adorable warm coat and Khombu boots for cold dog walking days etc), plus tons of food, toiletries, vitamins, batteries, tires, Keurig stuff, sheets, yogurt, bacon, meat, breads, soups, fruits and vegetables---I could go on and on. Just take your time when you shop, take your BIGGEST VEHICLE to haul your goodies home and have fun!!

KK

Honored Contributor

I was a Costco member for a skaillion years, and before that Price Club. Where we've moved there is no Costco, only a Sam's Club which is primarily the same thing. I have always purchased meat and split it up and vacuum sealed it for my freezer. I do that here too because the meat in the supermarket, for some reason is as tough as shoe leather. I love the jewelry (but try to walk on by)... love the housewares (towels are a great buy)... and do a lot of grocery shopping there, especially Keurig coffee boxes (70 or 80 pods for about $35). LOVE that store, they tend to carry more or less middle to high end appliances, vacuums, camaras, computers, etc. for a pretty good price. Have fun~! I may have to go there today for one of their Rotisserie chickens, plump, juicy, big and about $4.99 where we are~! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On 11/2/2014 gazelle77 said:

I would like to know if Sam's Club is as good as Costco? I always have just gone to Costco. Do any of you join both clubs?

Sam's was in our area several years before Costco. When Costco came, we joined and carried both memberships for a year. More and more we found ourselves in Costco and less and less in Sam's. We let the Sam's membership go when it expired.

Super Contributor

On 11/2/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 11/2/2014 gazelle77 said:

I would like to know if Sam's Club is as good as Costco? I always have just gone to Costco. Do any of you join both clubs?

Sam's was in our area several years before Costco. When Costco came, we joined and carried both memberships for a year. More and more we found ourselves in Costco and less and less in Sam's. We let the Sam's membership go when it expired.

Can I ask what Costco had that SAMs did not?
Esteemed Contributor

JLF, I'm curious also!

Compared to BJ's, Costco lacks variety.

I can do biweekly shopping at BJ's for the produce and meats (easier packaging).

Costco's prepared foods are excellent and I love their k-cups.

Esteemed Contributor

I got my toner from Costco.com.

Between the 20% off HP promotion and the $10 coupon from their sister site, I paid $55 for the 3 pack.