Honored Contributor

Re: New Costco member - advice please!

On 11/2/2014 Lilysmom said:

If you see something you really like, buy it. May be gone next time you come back. Some items do not get restocked. Their return policy is second to none. 100% satisfaction!

I agree - it seems many times when I like something - when I go back to buy it again, it is no longer available.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy fruits and vegetable there because we eat tons (though only the two of us) as well as trash bags, batteries, 6-pack boxes of almond milk and stock, large bags of Peets coffee beans, contact lenses, some vitamins, and I like their fresh cut flowers.

When I was in a house, not an city apartment, I bought tons and tons of spring and fall flowering bulbs. I used to be a landscape designer and we bought bulbs there to plant for clients-even though we could buy wholesale elsewhere, Costco still had the best price and super large bulbs. I look for their paper white bulbs this time of year and buy those for forcing indoors. Last year I bought a few of orchid plants there which were very good quality. I also buy their real Balsam Christmas wreaths and garlands; have to time that to make sure you get the freshest ones.

Oh, last year I bought my tires there. Best price around and they installed them in about 15 minutes. Great deal.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

gardensla, they mounted and balanced 4 tires in 15 minutes?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/2/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I'm telling you, it was amazing but it was two tires. They had the old one off and the new one on in record time.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Not a food item, but I buy generic Maxalt there at the pharmacy. Cheapest I have found anywhere. We also buy dog food there because the quality better than grocery store and cheaper than local pet store brands. I have a boxer that has had pancreatitis and the Kirkland brand is low fat like the Blue I used to have him on.
Valued Contributor

Love this store. Obviously there are times when certain items are a better buy at grocery stores with coupons. But I've never seen better prices when you shop for items they feature in their coupon books monthly. Will agree the chickens are yummy....as well as their roasted chicken noodle soup, and their chicken pot pie (huge) is a delight for large groups. Just had their featured ravioli lasagne with bolognese sauce last month....it was a hit.

What I like is that when I buy my paper products/meat/eggs, etc. in bulk at Costco, that means less times visiting other grocery stores and, for me, that means less money spent on spur of the moment purchases.

I know you all have dollar stores....we call Costco our Hundred Dollar Store. We find great buys, quality products/clothing, and excellent return policy. I use their Amex credit card and get bonus money back that covers the cost of my membership easily each year.

Take note of the many mentions of their stock going quickly. If you see it and ya' like it, ya' better take it. I've gone back two days later and their supply is gone. They move merchandise!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/2/2014 gardensla said:
On 11/2/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I'm telling you, it was amazing but it was two tires. They had the old one off and the new one on in record time.

gardensla, I need to get tires from your Costco!

It took them 4 hours to do mine! I thought I could entertain myself inside the warehouse, but 4 hours was too long.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Costco has different products for different stores. There are certain items that are not carried in our area and we have to travel "down the road" for them. However most of the time there are lots of standard items, IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. Costco loves to move things around ON PURPOSE.

I buy in bulk paper goods. They don't go bad. I also like their fruits and vegetables. We are fish eaters and they have a good selection of frozen and fresh. And this time of year I have to stay away from some aisles... too many desserts that I am not supposed to have.

Super Contributor

I would like to know if Sam's Club is as good as Costco? I always have just gone to Costco. Do any of you join both clubs?

Honored Contributor

Don't forget about the stamps!!!