Honored Contributor

Nespresso Vertuo Espresso & Coffee Maker

[ Edited ]

I watched some of the presentation of this machine when it was on for an hour a couple of days ago and was intrigued.  David has it on now.  I went to Nespresso's website, and they don't make this exact machine anymore.  I did find it on Amazon available as a "renewed" machine, meaning it's used and they have done whatever was necessary to make it sellable again.  

Some people may not mind that this is a discontinued model, but I think you should be aware when you purchase something like this that it isn't the latest model.  For one thing, they don't put the container on the side anymore for the used pods.  People must not have liked that.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Nespresso Vertuo Espresso & Coffee Maker

@NickNack.  That's typical QVC.  They seem to get "deals" on obsolete merchandise and sell it like it was the latest thing, typically electronic doodads.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack   If you find good reviews on that machine, unless it is refurbished or doesn't have a warranty I wouldn't be afraid of it.  It does come with the frother and a little coffee.

We have the original line and have had several of their machines--no complaints at all about any of them.  If you like frothy milk, it is nice to have the frother and they aren't cheap.

The Vertuo makes more sizes of coffee than the original line, so for most americans it is a better choice.

I think if you like coffee, espresso, cappuccinos etc you'd be happy with it.

You can buy the original line pods in different places now, but I think the vertuo ones only are sold by Nespresso.  They have great coffee and excellent service.  We have ordered for years and it comes quickly and we've never had one be wrong or late in coming. 

Occasional Contributor

I actually just returned this after purchasing last week on HSN, the price was $159, same package except it did not come with the travel mug. I returned it because of the cost of the capsules (about $1 each). I must have missed it during the presentation that this machine required very specific Nespresso capsules for this line, the capsules that fit their other machines are reasonably priced and can also be purchased from other manufacturers.  

I'm sure it's a great machine but the cost of the capsules and limited options changed my mind. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   Do you like the Nespresso frother?  I was considering just buying that and using the espresso pods in the Keurig type coffee maker that I already have.  Some of the reviews on Amazon say that it doesn't froth the milk to a good consistency.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Sooner   Do you like the Nespresso frother?  I was considering just buying that and using the espresso pods in the Keurig type coffee maker that I already have.  Some of the reviews on Amazon say that it doesn't froth the milk to a good consistency.

@NickNack The frothers work well.  But they do not get the milk really hot like the steam ones that come on the more expensive machines.

But yes, they do work well and we enjoyed using them before we got the machines that froth the milk.  You sort of need to experiment to see which type of milk froths well for you and how you like 1 percent, 2 percent or whole milk etc.

You might buy one and see if it suits you and if not, send it back.  You might find a great price on black Friday--or on sale now somewhere.  They are VERY easy to clean up and don't take up much space.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack , Not sure if you are speaking of best presso k cups.made for keurig, but i bought the Italian roast, and i find it not very strong flavor. i had to reduce the setting on cup size.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm very surprised that QVC would sell this obsolete machine. I saw the presentation and it seemed so confusing. They've also sold electronics in the past that were outdated.

Occasional Contributor

@kivah - I didn't realize this was outdated, is that why there are no generic options for the capsules?

Still glad I returned mine, just made coffee and used my handheld frother - warmed up the cream in the microwave first and works great.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

I remember years and years ago, someone (I think it might even have been @hckynut ) in the Electronics thread was warning posters of the same thing, that QVC typically gets deals on outdated electronics and that's why the deals sound so good on air.

I've been craving cappuccinos lately, and was just reading lists of top-rated machines and milk frothers.  I don't know if I crave one enough to spend for one of the better ones, and I'm not a fan of pod coffee.  On a related note, a simple hand frother is often top-rated.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.