Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,274
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

Cannot make up my mind whether to buy Debbie Meyer green boxes and bags.  There is an offer today and also an opportunity online retailer.  Ok, fessing up, HSN, Amazon.  I don't need the amount being sold.  Only the two of us but hubby has ruined lots of spinach and celery.  My interest in in saving corn and fruits like strawberries.  

Valued Contributor
Posts: 645
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

I bought the green boxes several years ago. I use them for strawberries, grapes, blueberries and romaine lettuce. The fruit keeps for quite a long time in them. We eat the romaine quickly, so I can't speak to that. I had also bought the bags, but didn't really like those. I am considering buying the new HSN special, as I have given a few boxes away and would like to replace them. Hope that helps.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,274
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage


@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I bought the green boxes several years ago. I use them for strawberries, grapes, blueberries and romaine lettuce. The fruit keeps for quite a long time in them. We eat the romaine quickly, so I can't speak to that. I had also bought the bags, but didn't really like those. I am considering buying the new HSN special, as I have given a few boxes away and would like to replace them. Hope that helps.



Thanks so much. Tired of tossing our HIS spinach and MY Salad mix.  Only the two of  us and I cannot buy the supply small enough to save it.  Also both of us like strawberries and they seem to last only seconds after we buy them.  I might just buy the Special.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,463
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

The containers did not work for me and DH. Hard to open and food did not keep as well as expected.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,499
Registered: ‎03-18-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

The bags didn't work for me.  Very disappointed!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,485
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

We use both the bags and boxes and they work very well for us. The key is making sure that the produce going in is as dry as possible. I often put in a paper towel if I think there is going to be excess moisture. We  have enough or I would be ordering more. I also love her sponges. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,485
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage


@bonnielu wrote:

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I bought the green boxes several years ago. I use them for strawberries, grapes, blueberries and romaine lettuce. The fruit keeps for quite a long time in them. We eat the romaine quickly, so I can't speak to that. I had also bought the bags, but didn't really like those. I am considering buying the new HSN special, as I have given a few boxes away and would like to replace them. Hope that helps.



Thanks so much. Tired of tossing our HIS spinach and MY Salad mix.  Only the two of  us and I cannot buy the supply small enough to save it.  Also both of us like strawberries and they seem to last only seconds after we buy them.  I might just buy the Special.  


 

Put the strawberries in unwashed along with a paper towel. I think you will find that it makes a big difference.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,391
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

I purchased the bags when someone here on the forum recommended them. They are wonderful!  I was living at my mom's house for weeks, came back to check my veggie drawer, almost afraid to open in and guess what?  Everything was still fresh - celery, carrots, onions, garlic. I've never used them for berries, because they don't last more than a day around here anyway.

 

BTW, I rinse them and hang them over my kitchen faucet to dry and use them again and again.  I suppose at some point they will lose their efficacy, but I'm very pleased with them.

~ house cat ~ beautiful blue ridge mountains
Super Contributor
Posts: 407
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage

I have both the light green boxes and the heavier ones. I didn't like the "light" ones at all and they didn't make my food last longer. However the heavier ones? Love them and they work so well to keep food fresh and last a long time.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,138
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

Re: Need your advice...Debbie Meyer's Green Storage


@Tucsongal2 wrote:

We use both the bags and boxes and they work very well for us. The key is making sure that the produce going in is as dry as possible. I often put in a paper towel if I think there is going to be excess moisture. We  have enough or I would be ordering more. I also love her sponges. 


I have both the bags and boxes and love both.  I completely agree with @Tucsongal2 if you thoroughly dry your produce and then add a paper towel when you place them in the bag it makes all the difference in the world.

 

I also very much like her heavier weight boxes.  I personally find her lighter  weight boxes to be along the lines of Gladware but please know that is just my experience.