Honored Contributor

Re: Need to remove baked on food --- stainless steel pot. Help Please!

On 1/9/2015 KYToby said:

I like to soak in water for a day or so, then I tackle the stain with Barkeepers Friend. I hasve also found the Scrub Daddy to be very effective at scrubbing.

Same exact thing I do except initially I run a very, very slow stream of how water into the pot for about 30 minutes and then do the above, soaking the pot for a day or so, even putting it in the warm oven, about 100 degrees which is the norm for my even if it is off. Then Barkeeper's friend which has saved my solid surface range when I burned a pot to it is my best friend for a mere pot. If it saved my stove, it can certainly save your pot.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting! I just read on the internet to boil 1 cup of coke for 10 minutes. Scrub with dish soap. Worth a try.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 KYToby said:

I like to soak in water for a day or so, then I tackle the stain with Barkeepers Friend. I hasve also found the Scrub Daddy to be very effective at scrubbing.

same here with a minor exception of running a very slow stream of hot water in the pot for about 30 minutes before soaking or tackling, whichever.

Honored Contributor

QVC also sells a product called Bio Cleaner. That on a Scrub Daddy with a little elbow grease will take years of built up gunk off.

Boiling water and Dawn in the pan is the first place to start, then some oven cleaner might help the tough stuff left.

Honored Contributor

I only use stainless. I have found with burned pan, if I place a 1/4 inch of water in pan, bring to boil for a minute. Then get spatula, and scrape like you are deglazing a pan. I am sure the coke would work with a boil too. Water has worked for me so far, and I have had bad,y burned nd stained pans

Trusted Contributor

Use a dryer fabric softener sheet. Just put it in the pan and fill with hot water. Let it soak overnight and it should come off easily.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Fill the pot with a few inches of water, put a few tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in it, and heat to boiling, then remove placing the lid on top. Let it cool for 20-30 minutes, and it should come right off. Too much vinegar will etch your steel, so cut it. Remember it is an acid!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 adelle38 said:

Use a dryer fabric softener sheet. Just put it in the pan and fill with hot water. Let it soak overnight and it should come off easily.

My son worked in a FF restaurant when he was a teenager and they used to do this.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone. I will try them one by one.

My set (for those of you who are ""young"" enough to remember is Revereware stainless with a copper bottom. It was my first set almost 50 years ago and it is still going strong except when I burn tomato soup in it.

I don't think anything is made like that was. That is why I am holding on. I do have other sets still stored away someplace that I don't use.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2015 bonnielu said:

Thanks everyone. I will try them one by one.

My set (for those of you who are "young" enough to remember is Revereware stainless with a copper bottom. It was my first set almost 50 years ago and it is still going strong except when I burn tomato soup in it. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I don't think anything is made like that was. That is why I am holding on. I do have other sets still stored away someplace that I don't use.

I have a couple of saucepans and a dutch oven from a set of Revere Ware I got in 1966 and still use both. The only reason I don't still have the frying pan is that the handle finally broke off and couldn't be repaired. I have burned things in that dutch oven until they were total charcoal and the bottom was black with "stuff". At least three times. It's been a long time, and I'm sure there are easier ways to do it now, but I soaked with dish detergent then scrubbed with steel wool pads, and repeated until it was clean. I used a lot of elbow grease though. I still use the dutch oven, and you're right, some things you just don't want to get rid of! good luck with it - I know it will come clean! Smile