Honored Contributor

Need info on the best counter top oven

[ Edited ]

I plan on buying a countertop oven for the cottage sometime this winter.  It won't be needed until we reopen up next spring.  Is there such a thing as an oven with non-stick interior?  The stove at the cottage is a cheapie, no insulation for the oven, no timer, etc.  I'm figuring it is from the 50's.  I've already ditched the microwave and the oven will be used for simple things, like pizza, reheating food from home, etc.  Are any countertop ovens self cleaning?  I'd also like to hear your views on ovens with problems. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need info on the best counter top oven

I have a Breville countertop but I don't think any of them are self cleaning but they are super easy to clean by hand.

Esteemed Contributor

I  know others who have the large Cuisinart Airfryer which has several functions such as Bake,  air fry and toaster oven.  It's easy to clean . It comes in 2 sizes  large and small .

Kohl's sold them and had  decent sales . I think Bed Bath Beyond may have had coupons in the past . 

Super Contributor

I bought a Breville for a second home to supplement our oven in preparing for a large holiday meal with no intention of really ever using it much after.  Well it became indespensible and we often use it in place of our "regular" oven.  They are pricy but you get what you pay for IMO.  Ours is large capacity and cooks no differently than a conventional size appliance.  We have had ours for YEAR and it still looks and cooks great!  I recommend highly

Honored Contributor

I bought a Breville one in 2017----and am using it to this day for every type of cooking---never use my big oven anymore--no, it is not self cleaning--I do that in about 5 minutes----it takes about 2 minutes to heat to temp--the big oven took 22 minutes---I use that to store my baking things now------

Honored Contributor

I have a Breville and love it.  It is not self cleaning.  I just wipe it out and it stays clean.

FYI:  Breville ovens are so good that King Arthur uses them in their rest kitchens to test recipes.

I have had other countertop ovens in the last, and they do not compare.

Esteemed Contributor

Like other posters, I have a Breville and love it!!  I cook everything in it and rarely use my oven anymore.    It's not self-cleaning, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Honored Contributor

@tessam wrote:

I bought a Breville for a second home to supplement our oven in preparing for a large holiday meal with no intention of really ever using it much after.  Well it became indespensible and we often use it in place of our "regular" oven.  They are pricy but you get what you pay for IMO.  Ours is large capacity and cooks no differently than a conventional size appliance.  We have had ours for YEAR and it still looks and cooks great!  I recommend highly

useful to know

we have a double oven now, and I am thinking read fantasy that a new kitchen I would just get one oven and possibly one of those for when I need it 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just saw this thread...I see you say the stove may be from the 1950s....is the cottage that old or older,or more critically, the WIRING and breakers/fuses in the house?

You also don't say whether it is an electric or gas stove. If gas, it probably doesn't use ANY electric in its operation ( pilot light or match lit?....sure won't have a digital display...the part that requires electric, unless it IS an electric stove!!!) 

If so, or no matter what age, make sure the electric service/outlet is capable of handling today's high wattage appliances...some  countertop ovens and air fryters are 1500, 1800, even 2200 watts....a LOT of power draw for old wiring or insufficient wiring or breakers ( Fuses).

Better to be safe than sorry!!! 

Same goes for high wattage hair dryers in the bathroom, or ANY other high wattage appliance.

We had an old family camp that was probably wired in the 1930s...( since sold) but you wouldn't dare plug in even a 1970's hair dryer...all the lights would dim and the plug would get hot!! ( not the OUTLET, the plug on the dryer!!!)

O yes....don't forget electric space heaters, even those decorative ones , ...they draw a LOT of power!

Wattage should be listed on the appliance you purchase.

Hope this helps!!!

Respected Contributor

Toaster ovens, even the ones with high wattage, can't self-clean because they don't get hot enough. I think there were temperature safety limits imposed by the government in the 1980s. Also there are reports of nonstick interiors harming small pets like birds.

The temperature limit also affects broiling. Only the Brevilles broil right. Other brands have a broil setting but don't get hot enough. You need at least 500 degrees to broil.

Pay more and the unit will last longer, be better insulated, and give you better temperature control which is so important.

I compromised and bought the Oster Pizza Drawer for great pizza baking and reheating. So far so good.