Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Need comfort food today.

On 3/11/2015 Campion said:

Last night I cooked chicken paprikash. It was basically sauteed chicken thighs (boneless) in a mix of onion and cubanelle peppers, with tomato sauce, Hungarian paprika seasoning and Greek yogurt tossed in at the end for the 'sour cream".

I never get my yogurt NOT to curdle--even off heat (I think the acid in the tomatoes is not helping) but it was tasty. I put it on mashed potatoes (fresh.) It was comfort food indeed. I think sour cream would have been much better, along with some mushrooms for flavor but I'm really trying not to eat fatty foods and this was relatively low fat with the boneless thighs, no chicken skin and no-fat yogurt. Anyway, it tasted pretty good.

Tomatoes are very acidic so perhaps they also enabled the yogurt to curdle....not sure since I never add tomatoes to any type of dairy dish recipe......but who knows.......at least you enjoyed it and that is all that counts.

Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2015 adoreqvc said:

Last night I cooked chicken paprikash. It was basically sauteed chicken thighs (boneless) in a mix of onion and cubanelle peppers, with tomato sauce, Hungarian paprika seasoning and Greek yogurt tossed in at the end for the 'sour cream".

I never get my yogurt NOT to curdle--even off heat (I think the acid in the tomatoes is not helping) but it was tasty. I put it on mashed potatoes (fresh.) It was comfort food indeed. I think sour cream would have been much better, along with some mushrooms for flavor but I'm really trying not to eat fatty foods and this was relatively low fat with the boneless thighs, no chicken skin and no-fat yogurt. Anyway, it tasted pretty good.

Tomatoes are very acidic so perhaps they also enabled the yogurt to curdle....not sure since I never add tomatoes to any type of dairy dish recipe......but who knows.......at least you enjoyed it and that is all that counts.

Yes, it's the tomatoes, and the ones I use are particularly acid. Dairy and tomatoes kind of go in curry, but you have to balance how much acid and how much yogurt. I used too much tomato.

Respected Contributor

On 3/12/2015 Campion said:
On 3/11/2015 adoreqvc said:

Yes, it's the tomatoes, and the ones I use are particularly acid. Dairy and tomatoes kind of go in curry, but you have to balance how much acid and how much yogurt. I used too much tomato.

At least now you know what caused the dilemma, I thought it was too much acidity in the tomatoes too.

Good luck next time CampionSmile.