Trusted Contributor

Re: Need comfort food today.

That's a great meal, ccassaday. I love a good roast with veggies and yeast rolls on the side. Smile

Respected Contributor

The glucose control versions of those drinks are good for all people. A a splash of oj in a glass of water is enough electrolytes to keep this going up when you are sick. Pedialyte is better than gatorade,but oj and water is better than running to the store and cheaper. chicken noodle soup with homemade broth is best as well since you can control the sodium and carbs.
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry to hear all of your bad weather woes. We hada cold snap from 82 degrees to 45 degrees then 68 and today 72. We are to be like that all week, but who knows the way this winter has been. Lots of people have gotten sick because the whole winter has been this way.
Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2015 northernlights said:

Thanks Adore, for letting me know about storing left-over rice. Yikes, I had no idea about that, regarding food poisoning. Thank you so much. You are such a dear for letting me know about it. Thanks again, dear friend! {#emotions_dlg.wub} ((Hugs to you!))

I bet that Chinese food from the different Chinatowns is so very good. Those are places that I would love to visit-both the Chinatowns in CA, and the one in NY. I would love to visit the different shops and restarants, too.

Hi my sweet friend,

I also hope we can travel and visit many more Chinatown type restaurants, because Chinese Foods are one of our most favorite.

I hope you make a print out of that rice information and keep it in the kitchen for safe food reference.

Also be advised that the same situation pertains to all foods. No food should be left unrefrigerated for long periods of time as it is unsafe.

The best way to stay safe is prepare it, eat it, store it in airtight container in the refrigerator, and eat it the next day, or at the very least keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days. After that heave ho it.

There are so many dangers now surrounding how safe food really is, no matter who prepares it.....home prepared, restaurant prepared and picked up or delivery take out and delivered to you.....it all comes down to safety prep, and proper eating rules, and storage recommendations.

No one is immune to food poisoning!

Years ago I had an acquaintance who owned a very well know, elite large large Restaurant in Midtown, and I was invited with my husband to have dinner there.

The restaurant was so clean and gorgeous and all the foods looked appealing, smelled appetizing, and from the comments we heard people were highly satisfied with their food choices, the service and the restaurant in general.

The owner/Pro Chef was a personal friend who no longer cooked but owned this fine establishment and took great sense of pride in everything, which was also very apparent.

He took us on a complete tour of the restaurant.

The kitchen/food areas were really kept very clean, and he also prided himself on that, and on buying and using only the freshest ingredients.

Everything was labeled and dated and his refrigeration/freezer and pantry areas were safe, clean, and very appealing. Every area had thermometers which would display accurate readings, and his fans worked well and were very clean.

He said after having worked for many years in many States and seeing how ill kept and hazardous to ones health many of these food establishments were he vowed he would save and buy his own place and keep it very clean and soon get a 5* rating......and that is what he accomplished in Midtown NY..

He said he was a stickler for varmint extermination, and kept everything safely stored away and had the place checked often by his staff and regularly scheduled extermination inspections performed.

He told me horror stories about unclean unsafe restaurants he knew of, had worked as a Chef in, and I made a list because a few of those places were our favorite Midtown restaurants.

Northernlights another hint is never to return any food back to the kitchen.

If there is a problem call the Manager or Owner over, and advise them of the food concern and then ask for the menu again and order something else, even if you have to tell them because of the food concern you have you have now lost your appetite for that particular food you are returning, and prefer to order something entirely different.

You never know what really occurs when you return an item back to the kitchen......and believe me I do but you don't want to know.

I have also eaten in what appeared to be a fabulously clean restaurant in a 5 star expensive hotel and I walked out without paying and very disgusted and sick to my stomach because of "the thing in my soup". Order something else?.......heck no not in that place!

We had checked for negative reviews before we booked our reservations and arrived and there were no negative reviews posted.

In a matter of 2 weeks there were quite a few, and afterwards I also posted mine because not only did we have a really unhealthy gross varmint food related experience but we no longer wanted to stay in that particular 5* hotel so we checked out fast.

They say even elite top 5* restaurants can have many health department violations....there were a few in Midtown......expensive and very well know who were shut down temporarily while they addressed all the Health Department concerns and violations.

More tips just to be safe...

Best to always try and wash hands often with very warm water and plenty of soap for at least 2 minutes. Use very clean hand towels to wipe hands or bounty towels.

Use Lysol and spray, spray, spray to disinfect. I also use Clorox wipes and wipe down the tile and other bathroom areas

I always place my polypropylene chopping board into the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle to thoroughly clean it on both sides, and when I see too many cut marks on it I heave ho it and buy another. I am no longer a fa of wooden blocks and threw out a fairly new very expensive Boos pro block because no matter how well I followed directions to thoroughly clean the wood I never trusted that it was totally sanitized can cleaned, since wood cannot go into the sanitize cycle of a dishwasher.

Also carefully disinfect the bathroom using gloves to avoid germs, bacteria, ecoli, etc.

Also if using bleach never mix with ammonia as that produces a fatal gas combination which kills in a few seconds if inhaled.

If you have kitchen and bathroom windows use them regularly. Open them before you clean those rooms using cleaning agents, also if you have fans, clean them often and use them, same for a/c filters. clean if cleanable or throw out and replace.

Wash in Clorox safe bleach for colors or regular bleach for all whites all dish towels to kill bacteria, and wash them often.

Microwave your sponges to remove bacteria...

http://momsagainstcooties.com/want-to-help-keep-foodborne-illness-out-of-your-home-zap-that-kitchen-...

Well sweetie got to go because hubby is calling me......so have a good night and we shall cyber chat again very soon. Please do reply aback after you read this also if it is not an imposition.

Respected Contributor

On 3/8/2015 ccassaday said: We had of roast, carrots, potatoes and Rhodes yeast rolls. Yummy.

That is delicious, thanks for posting!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much adore and Tigress, last night bought the drinks suggested ,My Edward was Able to drink 2 and some of my homade hamatashen, blood sugar was tested, OK for meds.. This' morning so much better, he was feeling OK able to have some light food ... Thank you both again . he had me worried, he was tearful not like himself, a big Baby last night, but myBaby none the less, I could not think what he could or would eat to take diabetic and heart meds. On the mend,,thanks my friends... Maryanne
Respected Contributor

Dear Maryanne,

You are so very welcome and I am glad we could help.

That Boost drink worked wonders for my Mom and she loved all the flavors.

Thanks so much for the update.

Relived to read that your Edward was able to drink and blood sugar tested okay. That is a relief!!!!!

Also such a relief that he can also eat light foods now. Good!!!!!!

My husband is also very not like himself when he does not feel well. I believe everyone is, and with diabetics and people who also have cardiac conditions taking life sustaining meds is imperative........many times there are no other alternatives, so if something develops which causes them to expel what they have taken it is a visit right away to a Physician or emergency room to ensure those life sustaining meds are given and remain in his system.

Rest easy now Maryanne......you did good for your Edward!

Post back anytime and I hope he improves quickly, and you continue to do what you do best......which is take care of your Edward........I am sure he really loves and appreciates all your love, concern and wonderful care.

God Bless you both, and take good care.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to post this very informative post about food safety, Adore. Smile

I am always careful about storing leftovers, and I am also careful with food prep., too.

That is pretty scary about what can go on behind the scenes in restaurants. You hear about these things, but at the same time, it is like, "Do I really want to know," because probably no one would want to go out to eat then!

Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2015 northernlights said:

Thanks for taking the time to post this very informative post about food safety, Adore. Smile

I am always careful about storing leftovers, and I am also careful with food prep., too.

That is pretty scary about what can go on behind the scenes in restaurants. You hear about these things, but at the same time, it is like, "Do I really want to know," because probably no one would want to go out to eat then!

Bravo northernlights,

I loved your reply, and yes no one really wants to know what goes on behind the scenes in a restaurant, or they would never eat out if they knew.

Not saying every restaurant does not follow all Board of Health guidelines, rules and law, but many have not passed Board of Health inspections, and are shut down if their violations are not corrected.

That is what is so frightening, so we try and become a little more selective......and we no longer ever entertain eating anything at buffets, or taking anything from a salad bar....too many stories about improper prep, improper hot or cold stations, and food poisoning.....so we prefer sit down meals, and pray the restaurant is really clean and has an environment which will pass a Board of Health spot check unexpected inspectionSmile.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Last night I cooked chicken paprikash. It was basically sauteed chicken thighs (boneless) in a mix of onion and cubanelle peppers, with tomato sauce, Hungarian paprika seasoning and Greek yogurt tossed in at the end for the 'sour cream".

I never get my yogurt NOT to curdle--even off heat (I think the acid in the tomatoes is not helping) but it was tasty. I put it on mashed potatoes (fresh.) It was comfort food indeed. I think sour cream would have been much better, along with some mushrooms for flavor but I'm really trying not to eat fatty foods and this was relatively low fat with the boneless thighs, no chicken skin and no-fat yogurt. Anyway, it tasted pretty good.