Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on why my homemade bread crust is hard on bottom

It's the best , but, just not adapted for the smaller confines of a bread machine.   About like that I Love Lucy episode where she got carried away with yeast since she wasn't much of a hand in the kitchen and the oven door pushed open. LOL

Respected Contributor

5D5092D6-055F-4800-9D84-713333E397B5.jpeg

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Contributor

Agreed.  I only use the bread machine for making dough. Much prefer to bake it in my own pans to get the shape I want.  As soon as the bread is baked, remove it from the pan and cover with a towel to cool.  Crust will be soft.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I'd turn the setting to 'light' first and try that. I have mine on 'medium' dark would be burned looking. Cuisinart , is a good brand. you might find some Q&A questions online or in the instruction booklet.

I got a Zorushi  machine and don't use it but once twice a yr.

You have to be so accurate and do everything so so I'd rather make

it the old fashion way and know it will still turn out fine if everything is not

accurate to a T.

I don't butter anything till it's out of the oven. Butter burns fast and gives the bread a burnt looking over done look

@SharkE, I just saw this Thread and was about to page you but I see you are already here. Glad I started reading the Posts.

You are the Pro of Bread making!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I learned yesterday that I can't use my fancy Platninum yeast in the bread machine it's too powerful. Gotta use that Fleischman's or one of the tamer types. Platninum raises way too high and mine was bursting out of the machine and never browned.

So the Bread Queen learned something in her old age. LOL

@SharkE  that is so funny, even though you know what they say about teaching whatever new tricks. I like that.

Esteemed Contributor

Ok folks, I need the name of at least three bread machines that you have tried. Years ago my sister had one and made bread for us, but no longer has it.

She's been working from home since the pandemic and would like to get her one for her birthday which is in April.

I'm thinking that during conference calls she could run down stairs and start the machine lol.

Waiting to hear some recommendations.  Thanks!!