Valued Contributor

Need advice on how to store homemade bread

I just bought my first bread maker and am wondering what's the best way to store homemade bread. I know that some of the choices people make include putting loaves in cotton or linen bags, plastic bags, airtight storage containers (like Lock n Lock), or placing them in a cupboard meant for bread. I'm trying to determine which method is the best for keeping the bread fresh the longest and for keeping mold away. Would really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice on how to store homemade bread

[ Edited ]

I have googled this a number of times in years past and the best way the experts say, is as soon as it is made and cooled, freeze it. The second best way is to store it on your countertop, and the last place is in your refrigerator. Apparently the refrigerator is the last choice because it actually doesn't improve the texture of the bread and speeds up it getting stale.

For convenience you can slice it before you freeze it. 

I order Just Bagels every so often and that is exactly what they say, as soon as you receive them, put them in the freezer because their bagels just like your bread, has no preservatives. 

Honored Contributor

bread machines just make one loaf. I eat what I want then put it in a regular bread sack like you get at store.   It's meant to keep bread in.

I never freeze it .

Valued Contributor

Freeze it to preserve freshness and to prevent mold.  Homemade bread has no preservatives and will grow mold faster than commercially made store brands which have preservatives and chemicals added to prevent mold.  Especially if it is kept in a moist environment.  Cut or sliced bread has more chance to become moldy on inside slices too.  Bread mold can be very dangerous if consumed.  Homemade bread can be expected to last 2 days for ultimate freshness.  The best option is to make smaller loaves (such as make 1 lb. loaves instead of 2 lb. loaves) which will be consumed quicker and just make them more often.  But ultimately freezing is your best option.

Respected Contributor

I've had good luck with 1.5 pound loaves in a Lock n Lock bread container even though it is longer than the loaf itself.  I turn the cut side down after we've enjoyed a few slices of the fresh loaf.

Trusted Contributor

Since your homemade bread won't have the preservatives in it like storebought bread, it will mold faster. Putting it in the refrigerator will not keep it fresh; it will absorb moisture and be awful pretty quick. Lock n lock or other airtight will cause mold to grow. The best thing I have found is a plastic bag that is not so tight that it mashes the bread. If your bread is really good it won't last long enough to store much of it....I found when I used my breadmaker we would enjoy the bread as toast or as a sandwich first, then I would freeze the rest and use it for toast. Tasted as good as fresh. 

Esteemed Contributor

I slice mine and let it cool.  Then I store it in a gallon size freezer ziploc bag.  After a couple days of enjoying it, if there is remaining slices I put the bag in the freezer.  Nothing better than homemade bread in the wintertime.

Esteemed Contributor

Have fun with your new bread machine! They really do work nicely!

Suggestions:

Eat it up! Try to make the smallest loaf. Keep away from heat & light. Store in an air-tight container.

Isn't bread like wine? Once opened, you have to use it up.

I just think freezing alters the product. (This is my last resort, which I am forced into because DH's choice of bread & mine differ so much! And I do not eat bread that often.)

Use natural preservatives: powdered ascorbic acid, flavorings such as garlic, cloves, cinnamon, ginger. (I never did this, but I imagine throwing in a tad won't change the flavor of the bread all that much. It just may give you a bit of extra insurance...?)

Honored Contributor

when we had a bread machine, there was no possibility of leftovers

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I've had good luck with 1.5 pound loaves in a Lock n Lock bread container even though it is longer than the loaf itself.  I turn the cut side down after we've enjoyed a few slices of the fresh loaf.

I KEEP LOOKING FOR A LOCK - LOCK FOR MY HOMEMADE BREAD AND HAVE NEVER FOUND ONE.DO YOU HAVE AN ITEM #?  i CUT MY LOAVES INTWO, AND FREEZE HALF. I HAVE A ZORCHISH BREAD MAKER MAKES A FAT LOAF.