Honored Contributor

Need advice on grinding coffee beans

DD got us two packages of whole bean coffee to go with my coffee grinder that has been sitting unused for years  The reason I've never gotten into this is my idea is to stumble out to the kitchen and get the coffee going in the least amount of time.  So I'm wondering, will the flavor suffer if I grind at night and program coffee maker to start in the morning?  

Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on grinding coffee beans

When I was grinding my own I always ground the beans the evening before and had everything ready for the morning.  I am not that much of a connouisser I guess.  

Valued Contributor

@depglass YES. My husband and I started the first coffee roasting business on the Gulf Coast way back when, and having worked with coffee for years, I can tell you that coffee oxidizes and loses flavor once it is ground. Once you get the hang of grinding it won't take more than a few seconds out of your morning, and the difference is well worth the effort. Also, put your coffee beans in an opaque container, do not refrigerate or freeze. Without going into the science of why not to do that, the bottom line is it degrades the flavorful oils.

Valued Contributor

@depglass freshly ground coffee is so superior to ground beans i don't think a few hours from evening to morning will make an appreciable difference.  store in an airtight container.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass to remove oils from coffee (or spice) grinder that has not been used for a while, grind 1/4 cup rice and then wipe residue with paper towel.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Brevile coffee maker grinds coffee just before it perks it and makes the BEST coffee!