Honored Contributor

Need advice on cook time in crock pot

Aldi's has a recipe for a 'wake up casserole' made in a crock pot. It's basically hash browns, diced ham, eggs, milk and some seasonings. I can easily downsize the ingredients to make just one-third of the recipe in my small crock pot. If something takes six hours on low in a big crock pot, how long do you think the smaller version would take? I often wake up at 4:30 am and was wondering if I could start it around 4:45 and have it ready for an 8am breakfast.

Regular Contributor

Re: Need advice on cook time in crock pot

I think the cooktime would be the same either way.  You might try cooking it on high if it says to cook on low. That would shorten the cook time.

Trusted Contributor

@AuntGI find that food cooks faster in my smaller crock pot, so I would probably heat on high a half hour and then turn the setting down to low.  I think your casserole will be done on time for you.

Respected Contributor

My suggestion would be to have breakfast for dinner the first time so that you can see how long it needs to cook.  Then you'll know the cooking time for breakfast.

Respected Contributor

McCormick's makes a Slow Cooker Breakfast seasoning mix that's added to a dozen eggs, milk, shredded cheese, bacon or ham, and 2 cups of hash browns. It calls for a 6-quart crock pot and says to cook 2.5 hours on high or 4 to 4.5 hours on low, "or until eggs are set." Makes 6 servings.

Added to the other feedback, I thought that might help you determine how long to cook it at what setting.

Good luck, it sounds like a great way to start the day.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

My suggestion would be to have breakfast for dinner the first time so that you can see how long it needs to cook.  Then you'll know the cooking time for breakfast.

===

You're right @Ainhisg and that's what I'll do next Saturday for our supper. My little crock has a "keep warm" setting so if it gets done too early, I'll use that selection until we are ready to eat. Then I'll write out the revised recipe with the time that works best.

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Ainhisg You're a smart cookie that's a great suggestion!

Respected Contributor

, aren't you kind!  Thank you!

@rockygems123 , aren't you kind!  Thank you!  

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Aldi's has a recipe for a 'wake up casserole' made in a crock pot. It's basically hash browns, diced ham, eggs, milk and some seasonings. I can easily downsize the ingredients to make just one-third of the recipe in my small crock pot. If something takes six hours on low in a big crock pot, how long do you think the smaller version would take? I often wake up at 4:30 am and was wondering if I could start it around 4:45 and have it ready for an 8am breakfast.

I think your cook time sounds about right for what you want to do in your smaller cooker.

You can always check for doneness by using a meat thermometer when the time is up.

You want to make sure your food temp. is at 165 degrees for doneness.

That sounds like a really yummy recipe! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@AuntG if you make it, please come back and tell us how it was.

I do late Christmas breakfast and this would be something easy and different.