Respected Contributor

Re: Need a greens dry mix supplement

I use Andrew Lessman's Green Foods Complex. I add a serving to my morning protein drink. 

Honored Contributor

Lindberg Greens and Fruits Plus

15D28E2D-DD97-4916-905F-CC709380E284.jpeg

Supplement Facts

Serving Size:  1 Scoop
Servings Per Container:  30
  AmountPer Serving % DailyValue(DV)
Calories30 
Total Carbohydrate4 g1%*
      Dietary Fiber2 g7%*
      Total Sugars2 g
      Includes 0g Added sugars0 g0†
Sodium15 mg<1%
Organic Greens/Herbs Blend
Organic Certified Wheat Grass Whole Leaf, Organic Certified Barley Grass Whole Leaf, Organic Certified Oat Grass Whole Leaf, Organic Certified Alfalfa Leaf, Organic Certified Parsley, Organic Certified Chlorella Cracked Cell, Organic Certified Spirulina, Organic Certified Turmeric Root, Organic Certified Moringa Oleifera Leaf
5.325 g
Organic Fruit / Berry Blend
Organic Certified Apple, Organic Certified Tomato, Organic Certified Cranberry, Organic Certified Pomegranate, Organic Certified Acai Berry, Organic Certified Blueberry, Organic Certified Goji Berry, Organic Certified Acerola, Organic Certified Strawberry, Organic Certified Lemon, Organic Certified Lo Han Berry Extract
2.1 g
Organic Vegetable Blend
Organic Certified Carrot, Organic Certified Kale, Organic Certified Beet Root, Organic Certified Spinach, Organic Certified Cabbage, Organic Certified Broccoli, Organic Certified Collard Greens
1.25 g
Other ingredients: Organic Natural Flavors
Suggested Use: For adults, take approximately 1 scoop (9 g) daily mixed into 8 ounces of water or juice, or mix into smoothies, yogurt or meals.
WARNING: If you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medications or have any medical condition, consult your healthcare professional before using this or any other nutritional supplement. If any adverse reactions occur, immediately stop using this product and consult your doctor. If seal under cap is damaged or missing, do not use. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place.
Other Information: Contains wheat ingredients.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value (DV) not established.

I use it in conjunction with Lindberg's Reds and use only a half scoop of each daily.  In addition I make my own fresh veggie smoothies when I have time.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BA8CC9AB-FDBC-45B1-8195-72CE89955BD9.jpeg
@SilleeMee 

Something bugs me about these greens supplements. Why is there no folate listed? Has the process used to make the supplements from greens destroyed the folate?  The above label is from Lindberg's brand. I know there's no requirement to list folate, but you'd think the companies would want to list this if their products contained any. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

BA8CC9AB-FDBC-45B1-8195-72CE89955BD9.jpeg
@SilleeMee 

Something bugs me about these greens supplements. Why is there no folate listed? Has the process used to make the supplements from greens destroyed the folate?  The above label is from Lindberg's brand. I know there's no requirement to list folate, but you'd think the companies would want to list this if their products contained any. 

@Mindy D 

Not sure why it's not listed. Maybe it degrades while present in the greens powder supps. Folates are sensitive to light and air.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette
Do you have a simple and delicious recipe for your smoothie? I have a garden 👍
Trusted Contributor

@MindyD and @SilleeMee
What's folate and what foods are high in folate? Ty
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D
Force factor smarter greens lists folate. 200mcg DFE.
4g dietary fiber / 0 cal

Does that sound good? If so, I'll purchase 👍
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Midmod @Folate is the natural form of Vitamin B9. The synthetic form is called folic acid. It is naturally found in dark green leafy vegetables, beans, avocados, oranges, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas, and other foods. It is added, in the form of folic acid, to most flour ( the ingredients will read as enriched wheat flour, for example), cereals and rice in the United States. Young women are told to take a supplement while pregnant to prevent neural tube defects (such as spina bifida) in the baby. They are usually prescribed 600 mcg per day. A dificiency in folic acid can result in a form of anemia, called megaloblastic anemia. Persons with a dificiency or who are taking certain medications, such as methotrexate, may be told to take a high dose supplement to prevent or stop the anemia. The recommended daily amount for non-pregnant adult women  is 400 mcg per day. Folate's role in the body involves the formation and growth of health body cells and the formation of red blood cells. It has other roles too.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Midmod @I don't know if that is good for a greens product but if the amount listed is present, it seems like that is not a bad amount, but I am not an expert.  I would double check about any supplement with a physician, but that's just me. Just remember that supplements are not highly regulated in the U.S. Sometimes folic acid can mask Vitamin B12 dificiency on a blood test, so doctors should try to test for the status of both when you have a blood test. @Midmod @I slightly revised my response. 

Honored Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
@geezerette
Do you have a simple and delicious recipe for your smoothie? I have a garden 👍

@Midmod 

Simple, yes.  Delicious?  Hmm, maybe not.😆

I just use several veggies with water in my Vitamix.  I don't have a garden anymore, so I have to make do with store bought.  I try to use various colors and varieties of veggies.