Honored Contributor

Re: Need a greens dry mix supplement

@Mindy D wrote:

BA8CC9AB-FDBC-45B1-8195-72CE89955BD9.jpeg
@SilleeMee 

Something bugs me about these greens supplements. Why is there no folate listed? Has the process used to make the supplements from greens destroyed the folate?  The above label is from Lindberg's brand. I know there's no requirement to list folate, but you'd think the companies would want to list this if their products contained any. 

@Mindy D 

Possibly for this reason? ...

The FDA does not require food labels to list folate content unless folic acid has been added to the food. Foods providing 20% or more of the DV are considered to be high sources of a nutrient, but foods providing lower percentages of the DV also contribute to a healthful diet.  (November 2022 nih.gov)

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D
I take several supplements. I try to eat a healthy amount of green veggies a day but admittedly I am not always able to do that 🙄
Trusted Contributor

Screenshot_20230106-154658.png

Trusted Contributor

Sorry that last photo is terrible 😔
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Something bugs me about these greens supplements. Why is there no folate listed? Has the process used to make the supplements from greens destroyed the folate?  The above label is from Lindberg's brand. I know there's no requirement to list folate, but you'd think the companies would want to list this if their products contained any. 

@Mindy D 

The FDA does not require food labels to list folate content unless folic acid has been added to the food. Foods providing 20% or more of the DV are considered to be high sources of a nutrient, but foods providing lower percentages of the DV also contribute to a healthful diet.  (November 2022 nih.gov)

@geezerette @I did know this. I just wondered why they would omit it as it is beneficial? This made me wonder if it's present in the product or if processing the foods caused a loss of it. 

Trusted Contributor

Screenshot_20230106-155028.png

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@Mindy D 

@geezerette @I did know this. I just wondered why they would omit it is beneficial and is present. 

@Mindy D 

Perhaps because they aren't marketing it as a "vitamin/mineral" supplement. And because since it is supposedly a concentrated mixture of organic vegetables, fruits and berries, the folate content (as well as vitamin and mineral content) will vary unlike in standardized vitamins.  

They put very little on the bottle label: calories, carbs, fiber, sugars, and sodium.  Most of the label is the ingredients list.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Honored Contributor

Some vitamin amounts in fruits/veggies vary from season to season. Sometimes they might contain more of one and less of another. Because of that the manufacturer could have just decided not to take the time to test each batch. Standardization would drive the cost.