Honored Contributor

Need a good sturdy (metal) mixing spoon.

No plastic or wood recs please!

I've been using a thick slotted salad spoon that I've had for about 30 years.  And it's never failed me, but I can tell the 'stem' (?) is starting to give.

I need something for hand mixing really thick batters (like peanut butter cookie dough).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a good sturdy (metal) mixing spoon.

@Lucky Charm

You won't believe it, but my favorite is a silver Art Deco spoon I found sticking out of the sand in Golden Gate Park's huge playground in 1980.  Just love this spoon.

That being said, I wonder if a trip to Goodwill or Salvation Amy would provide you with a spoon to your liking for not much.  I'm not a fan of contemporary spoons, which have a rather square cut on the handle (really uncomfortable to stir batters with).

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Lucky Charm

You won't believe it, but my favorite is a silver Art Deco spoon I found sticking out of the sand in Golden Gate Park's huge playground in 1980.  Just love this spoon.

That being said, I wonder if a trip to Goodwill or Salvation Amy would provide you with a spoon to your liking for not much.  I'm not a fan of contemporary spoons, which have a rather square cut on the handle (really uncomfortable to stir batters with).

What a find!

I wish I knew where my grandmother's went.  It had to be an antique, but it's all I remember her using.  It was misshapen on one side from hitting the side of her big old ceramic bowls.  Oh how I wish I knew where they were, too!

Esteemed Contributor

If you live near a BB&B, I'm sure there would be plenty to choose from at a reasonable price.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

If you live near a BB&B, I'm sure there would be plenty to choose from at a reasonable price.

I guess I will check them out or one of those other kitchen stores.

Hope I find something that will last for another 30 years. 

Respected Contributor

Lucky charm, you may want to check out the one on Amazon:  here is its description:

OXO Good Grips Brushed Stainless Steel

13 1/34 inches for $9.99.

Also,  if you have a restaurant supply store near you, they might have what you want.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the Lori Grenier set that has the "crook" you can rest on the edge of the pan.  H206878.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I know you specified metal, but the biggest, longest, thickest, sturdiest and most-often-used spoon I have was bought about a year ago-------it's a black and gray  spoon by Calphalon. 

I just looked on Bed,Bath,Beyond and they have sets of utensils that include Calphalon spoons like this, either slotted or solid.

I might have gotten mine at BedBathBeyond, but might also have bought it at Macy's or Bloomingdale's kitchen departments at a mall.

Honored Contributor

How about a ss spoon with silicone coating on the spoon end from Amazon. They have them for different prices.

This Silicone Mixing Spoon With Stainless Steel Handle is a great tool to assist you in the kitchen.

• The stainless steel handle will last time after time with its durable design.
  • Measures approximately 13 3/4" in length with the silicone end measuring about 2 3/4" in width.

Product Details

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

Lucky charm, you may want to check out the one on Amazon:  here is its description:

OXO Good Grips Brushed Stainless Steel

13 1/34 inches for $9.99.

Also,  if you have a restaurant supply store near you, they might have what you want.

I was just going to post about this one as well . . . I have always had great luck with my OXO products.  Well made and last forever.

The restaurant supply store is also a great idea.  I love snooping through them.