Honored Contributor

Need Recommendations for food chopper.

Please give me your tried and true suggestions. I am kitchen gadget challenged.  I need something quick and easy to chop onions, peppers and pecans - really dice and not mash. I have a Vitamix, had the 14 cup Cuisinart food processor, the Black and Decker MulitPrep food processor, several of the Geinus or mandolin type things.  I need value price, light weight and small to medium size. I have hand and joint issues and need somethin electric. Must be easy to clean and food particles not stuck in the lid. 

The Cuisinart was to big to sit under my new cabinets and heavy to move- lid very difficult to clean. I love the Black and Decker Multiprep but for me- the dicing blade gets stuck and very difficult to clean. Got cut with the mandolin . Did not have the arm and hand strength to push the lid down on  the Genius products. I use a lot of chopped onions, peppers and nuts. Also wish I could find something to chop or dice tomatoes instead of mashing them. Asking for the impossible?🤓 SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Recommendations for food chopper.

Have you seen Cooks-Essentials-Electric-Mandoline-with-7-Blades-.K45560.

I've been tempted to buy it but I still use my old electric Salad Shooter.

salad shooter.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee

I use this little chopper everyday for something!  It's the Kuhn Rikon chop n pull (k44671) and I have the original Genius dicer (k45743 newer version w/mandolins).

Both these work great - easy use & cleanup.  What I like best is the chop n pull you decide what chop size is good - you control it not like my small electric chopper that finely chops.

Honored Contributor

Have you seen the Vitamix Wet Chop?

Before buying another machine, I would suggest trying that out.

Just place the produce in the container filled with water.

2 pulses to chop, then strain the water off.

It’s worth a try, yes?

Honored Contributor

@software- I appreciate your suggestions. The reviews on the CE is very mixed- average 3.3 stars. I have had several issues with the CE brand in the past and scared to purchase again. The Black and Decker Multiprep does a great job on shredding and slicing. I checked EB and they have the original Salad Shooter and newer versions but I really need something to dice. Thank you, SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1- I forgot to mention that I purchased a pull chopper from Aldi's. It is great  for small portions. I am getting ready to chop a lot of onions and pecans to put in the freezer for holiday prep. I  will not have the strength nor energy to do several bags of onions or pecans. I truly appreciate you taking the time to offer help. Thank you, SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@software- I appreciate your suggestions. The reviews on the CE is very mixed- average 3.3 stars. I have had several issues with the CE brand in the past and scared to purchase again. The Black and Decker Multiprep does a great job on shredding and slicing. I checked EB and they have the original Salad Shooter and newer versions but I really need something to dice. Thank you, SouthernBee 

I'm not sure you are going to find the perfect electric chopper.

If not with the chopping, then with the cleaning up.

I have a very good knife, very sharp and I do most all my own dicing.

Even nuts.

With a good sharp knife, it's not that hard on the hands or wrists.

Just do small batches at a time and quit when tired.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom- The vitamix wet chop- I need to research this. Will I need to purchase another blade or container? Thanks for the information. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@software: Thanks for the suggestion. Me and knives not a good idea- bad experience. DH disposed of my knife set that sat on the counter. I am only allowed to use a small paring knife. If DH enters the room and sees using a pair of scissors- he backs out of the room and closes the door. He will not come in the kitchen when I use the paring knife. Go figure- I was the one got hurt and not hiim. SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee

Nope...just use a lot of water.

I’ve done it with cabbage....but not tomatoes, etc.

Just YouTube ‘Vitamix Wet chop’...and videos will pop up.

Figure...if it doesn’t work, you’re only out 1 tomato.

HTH!