Respected Contributor

Re: Need Rec- MOIST Cake from Scratch Recipes

Golden, I did find Paula Deen's recipe for sour cream pound cake online: if you wanted "moisturizers" (that made me giggle) of course she has them! She uses two sticks of butter, one cup of sour cream and six eggs....this is not going to be a dry pound cake by any stretch.....I will say though, a lot of people came through with some killer ideas-I gained ten pounds just reading them! I have made that chocolate mayonnaise cake before: that's an old Southern recipe, and that is one moist cake if ever there was. To add to the robustness of any layer cake, my mom used to melt a jar of Apple jelly and spoon it on whatever layer cake she made. You would not really taste a strong Apple flavor, but it sure was moist. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Zhills said:

One secret of a moist cake is the baking time. I always bake less than the recipe shows. If it says 18 mins, check with a toothpick at 16. If it is done at 16, baking an extra 2 mins will dry it out. Hope this helps.

I totally agree w/ Zhills....the baking time can be a big culprit in producing a dry cake.

I set the timer for 5 mins. LESS than the min. time called for in the recipe. Then keep checking...

I am on my third 'adult' oven and this has been the case my whole baking life. Cook WAY less!

Honored Contributor

Thank you EVERYONE for these delicious sounding cake recipes! I vowed never to make a box cake again once I got my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Been 2 years, and I have kept to it!

My kids don't care for 'desserts' or pies. They are a cake gang for sure. I am always looking for new ideas! Love collecting new recipes! Thank you again! Your time in posting is much appreciated!

Valued Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Harpa said:

goldenretriever, I've been meaning to post this.

If any recipe is forgiving, it is this one! The cake is light & moist. I always do a buttercream frosting. Oh, instead of cake, I primarily use this for cupcakes. Makes at least 2 dozen or more, filled pretty high. They really puff up nicely.

Easy Chocolate Cake

2 C sugar (1 3/4 works well, too)

2 C flour (sifted or not)

½ C cocoa

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 C milk

1 C salad oil (3/4 C works better)

1 C boiling coffee

2 eggs (3 if small)

350 degrees

That's the original recipe. I always add flavoring: vanilla and almond extract.

This batter is very thin. Really don't even have to mix the wet in w/ the dry...just dump the ingredients in order. You need to be careful when you are putting in the hot coffee...set your mixer speed to low! Then you have to be careful that everything is all incorporated (that the hot coffee won't curdle the eggs). I always fork beat the eggs before adding, again with the mixer on slow.

22 minutes for cupcakes (I pour the batter in my 2-cup measuring cup and then pour in the cupcake liners)

45-50 minutes for cake rounds

Sorry I have to ask but "salad" oil? this sounds very good & easy but don't want to mess it up if I use veg/canola oil..thanks

l

Respected Contributor

One of my friends taught me to use light ( color wise) olive oil and I have been using it for twenty years. Sometimes I have even used EVOO-it imparts a nutty flavor, but my cakes that use oil seem to be very moist. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Poodlepet said: Golden, I did find Paula Deen's recipe for sour cream pound cake online: if you wanted "moisturizers" (that made me giggle) of course she has them! She uses two sticks of butter, one cup of sour cream and six eggs....this is not going to be a dry pound cake by any stretch.....I will say though, a lot of people came through with some killer ideas-I gained ten pounds just reading them! I have made that chocolate mayonnaise cake before: that's an old Southern recipe, and that is one moist cake if ever there was. To add to the robustness of any layer cake, my mom used to melt a jar of Apple jelly and spoon it on whatever layer cake she made. You would not really taste a strong Apple flavor, but it sure was moist. Poodlepet

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Poodlepet

I like recipes like the one you mentioned here. I don't make desserts often, so when I do calories go out the window. I just don't care. If I want 2 slices, I'll have 2 slices! I have to get the desire out of my system, so I allow the splurge. I'm going to look up Paula's recipe.

And I agree....the posters here have definitely delivered amazing recipes!

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Poodlepet said: One of my friends taught me to use light ( color wise) olive oil and I have been using it for twenty years. Sometimes I have even used EVOO-it imparts a nutty flavor, but my cakes that use oil seem to be very moist. Poodlepet

Light olive oils differ quite a bit. Which brand do you prefer?

Honored Contributor

With reference to Post #9, the Magnolia Bakery White Cake...

Does anyone know if Pillsbury Softasilk Cake Flour is considered a 'self-rising' flour?

I looked on their website and it doesn't say... even under FAQS. I couldn't find a phone number to contact them...and an email question requires a LOT of personal info!

I have A/P flour and the Pillsbury Softasilk...I do not have 'self-rising' unless Softasilk is one?

TIA for any help or suggestions.

Trusted Contributor

RespectLife,

If the flour label does not say self rising, it is not self rising.

I know white lily has a self rising flour, but I don't know if they have self rising cake flour.

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Poodlepet said: I will be watching this thread closely! My big fat 54th is this week, and this morning as I watched a glorious sunrise, my thoughts turned to the all important task of birthday cake-and pound cake is one of my all time faves. I thought I would whip up a batch of ice cream (vanilla flavored with vanilla bean paste is to die for!!!) To guild the Lilly, over on Recipe Swap there is a recipe for Honey Crisp Apple with Pecan Conserve that I just can't get off my mind....and of course, I am positive it would be wonderful on some crispy homemade from scratch waffles-which I plan on making next weekend. I'm not home right now, but I have a nice collection of cookbooks. I'm pretty sure The Lady and Sons probably has a killer pound cake recipe...maybe it's even posted online somewhere..... Poodlepet

Oh Poodle, I forgot to mention. I made the conserve this past weekend and it was just fantastic! Those Honey Crisp apples were delicious in this!

I divided the batch up. Left some thick for use on toast/muffins etc.

Thinned down the rest with apple juice and some cinnamon and used it as a warm dessert topping over pound cake at a church meeting. Everyone raved about it warm. Wish I had some vanilla ice cream...it would be yummy as a topping over that!

I don't can but it isn't a huge batch and has kept well in just a good tupperware. I think you'll enjoy it!