Honored Contributor

Re: Need Rec- MOIST Cake from Scratch Recipes

I use cake flower and put a an inverted glass plate over the cake about ten minutes after it comes out. It makes a lot of the steam (escaping moisture) stay in.

With pound cakes, after they are turned I cover with them my Tupperware cake keeper top to hold the moisture.

Respected Contributor

Sfnative

Thanks for the recipes- I printed them both & will give them a try!

KToby- thanks for that rec. I need ""tips & tricks""!

Respected Contributor

On 10/18/2014 IamMrsG said:

Click here, and scroll down to Post #19 for a recipe for Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake. This is a tried and true recipe for a very dark and moist cake.

YUM....this looks like a good one. Thank you!

Respected Contributor

On 10/18/2014 ECBG said:

I use cake flower and put a an inverted glass plate over the cake about ten minutes after it comes out. It makes a lot of the steam (escaping moisture) stay in.

With pound cakes, after they are turned I cover with them my Tupperware cake keeper top to hold the moisture.

Thank you for the info. I REALLY have a hard time with pound cakes. They seem easy, but there's definitely a method to baking a quality cake.

Super Contributor

love a pound cake with a hard glaze. I choked on Angel food years ago and never touch that stuff.

Respected Contributor

When I bake a cake, I TRY to do everything right. I know over-beating is bad, so I'm careful not to do that. And I watch the cooking time carefully. I don't know what I do wrong!

Like Skylands suggested, I bought cake flour & will try that.

I DO have a problem with measuring the batter from one cake pan to the next. One is ALWAYS more full than the other, so of course that effects bake time.

It always helps to watch a person make something, rather than read about it. My mom could make perfectly moist cakes with ease. She has passed, so I rely on the internet & Youtube videos. But still, I always have questions, & a video doesn't respond back when I ask them.

Wink

Respected Contributor

On 10/19/2014 BOYINTX said:

love a pound cake with a hard glaze. I choked on Angel food years ago and never touch that stuff.

I love a good pound cake....never had one with a hard glaze. That sounds yummy.

Respected Contributor

I will be watching this thread closely! My big fat 54th is this week, and this morning as I watched a glorious sunrise, my thoughts turned to the all important task of birthday cake-and pound cake is one of my all time faves. I thought I would whip up a batch of ice cream (vanilla flavored with vanilla bean paste is to die for!!!) To guild the Lilly, over on Recipe Swap there is a recipe for Honey Crisp Apple with Pecan Conserve that I just can't get off my mind....and of course, I am positive it would be wonderful on some crispy homemade from scratch waffles-which I plan on making next weekend. I'm not home right now, but I have a nice collection of cookbooks. I'm pretty sure The Lady and Sons probably has a killer pound cake recipe...maybe it's even posted online somewhere..... Poodlepet
Regular Contributor

I have made this pound cake a number of times and it is fabulous. Especially with the added cranberries mixed in.

Orange Poundcake Recipe

1 1/2 C butter
3 C sugar
5 eggs
3 1/2 C flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C milk, plus 2 Tbsp
1/4 C orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond
2 Tbsp rind

Cream butter, gradually adding sugar. Beat till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt and add to creamed mixture, alternately with milk and orange juice, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in flavorings and rind.

Pour into greased tube or Bundt pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees. Cool in pan for 10 minutes

Regular Contributor

I should have said that I added a package of fresh cranberries and folded them in by hand. Just perfect. I may try this again but using lemon juice and rind in place of orange juice and rind, and adding blueberries. It's a very versatile cake.