Esteemed Contributor

Need Opinions-Baking/Mixing Bowls?

Looking for some new baking, mixing bowls. I have a set of Pyrex that while the look beat are still going strong. The problem is my largest bowl barely holds dough for 2 loaves of bread or quick bread.

Im tempted to invest in Fiesta baking bowls, great quality, on sale but mighty heavy.

WS has a set of clear glass mixing bowls on their webste similar to Pyrex but for $39.95 I'm thinking maybe not the best quality?

I need good quality and 4qt capacity. USA made, please. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Opinions-Baking/Mixing Bowls?

[ Edited ]

The Duralex ones that Williams Sonoma sells are very nice ( they are listed as a 10 piece glass bowl set). I've had mine for a really long time, no chips at all and I do store them stacked. I've even moved with them long distance at least 4 times. I just used one of mine today when I made biscuits with a pastry blender. I like that they are microwave safe too. I've used them as a bain marie also.

You know, I'm not sure if the ones they are selling now are the same duralex ones I bought years ago. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for identifying the mfg of the WS bowls!  Reviews on Sur Le Table are very good. The weight of all 10 bowls appears to be about 11lbs.

They may be available at Target so I'll have to check them  out.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Looking for some new baking, mixing bowls. I have a set of Pyrex that while the look beat are still going strong. The problem is my largest bowl barely holds dough for 2 loaves of bread or quick bread.

Im tempted to invest in Fiesta baking bowls, great quality, on sale but mighty heavy.

WS has a set of clear glass mixing bowls on their webste similar to Pyrex but for $39.95 I'm thinking maybe not the best quality?

I need good quality and 4qt capacity. USA made, please. 

Try a thrift store.    I have found Pyrex that must have been in someone's attic for 50 years.    Unused, and "the original".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

While I like the Duralex bowls, I also like a good set of stainless steel because they can take punishment in the kitchen and hold up.

One of the better sets on the market is the set made by Wolfgang Puck sold on HSN.  They are high quality for the price.

Esteemed Contributor

I did look at the configuration Target offers but the largest bowl is 2.5qts. I'll see if they have them next time I'm near a store.

Funny you should mention stainless bowls. I have a nesting set of Farberware that are probably 15 yrs old and are beat to death. They haved served my kitchen well but time to be replaced!

Respected Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

While I like the Duralex bowls, I also like a good set of stainless steel because they can take punishment in the kitchen and hold up.

One of the better sets on the market is the set made by Wolfgang Puck sold on HSN.  They are high quality for the price.

I also vote for the WP bowls.  My first WP set was like new, except I wanted the silicone non-skid bases and tighter fitting lids, so I passed my original set along to my SIL.

His 8 piece set is 1.5 to 7.25 qts. and are double boiler and oven safe to 400 degrees.  Can't recommend them enough.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@KYToby

I quite agree.  Not only are they lighter in weight, but some recipes call for a chilled bowl. 

A stainless bowl will chill down much faster than a glass one and there is absolutely no chance of breakage or shattering.

I have a huge bowl, large bowl, medium bowl and small bowl and use them ALL THE TIME.

Respected Contributor

For most things I like glass.   I have many different brands and I'm not partial to one or the other.   I do have 2 extra large SS bowls and they are Adcraft brand.  I don't use them often unless I'm mixing up a large amount of something.  One is 13 qt. and one is 30.   I also have 2 large Tupperware bowls.  I generally use those for popcorn or salad.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Costco and Sams will have good deals on large stainless steel bowls in their restaurant sections and some glass/ceramic in their home section. I have WolfGang Puck set with the silicon bottoms from the home section of Sam's and a really big stainless one from their restaurant section. They last and can take a beating. For ceramic ones, I picked up a set at a yard sale that is new Pyrex from the 60s or 70s still in their box. I also got a set of Pyrex baking pieces from the custard cups to casseroles and pie plates from the same time period still new.

Pretty bowls can be found anywhere like Target, where I saw a nice cream colored ceramic one that was a good size for everyday mixing or serving. This time of year is a good time to find them at Target, Macys, Dillards, Belk, JCPenney, and the like. I would try there to see about the weight of them as well, but they will all be heavier than stainless steel.