Respected Contributor

Need A New Stove Anyone Have A Convection Stove?

My stove yesterday completely died it was a Kenmore I had for many years and the part that broke they don't even make anymore. My DH thinks that a convection oven is better. I don't know as I don't know anyone that has one. What would be the cons and pros of a convection oven. TIA

Super Contributor

Re: Need A New Stove Anyone Have A Convection Stove?

Mom completely redid her kitchen and all appliances a few yrs ago.

Salesman at Lowes talked her into a convection microwave combo. Waste of money - so glad she got a regular, real oven in her range!

Contributor

My oven is both. While I don't use my convection all that often, I do use it for some pork roasts, roast chicken, cooking squash (takes much less time to cook), and some casseroles.

That's the big thing with convection...it takes foods less time to cook and bake. I have five racks in my oven; using convection, I can bake four sheets of cookies at one time instead of just one or two. The heat circulates better than a regular oven.

I have the thermometer, which is inserted into the top of my oven. I put the thermometer into the meat, set it for the desired temperature and roast. Easy. It really does nicely roast a chicken or other roast. And it doesn't over-roast. When I use convection, it automatically sets the temperature of the oven 25 degrees lower than using the regular oven. So if I set it for 350 degrees and use convection, it goes to 325 degrees.

My old microwave (Sharp) was also convection, so I'm used to it. I got a really nice convection/microwave cookbook with the microwave and, in using the recipes from the book, I got used to using convection.

I like it.

Trusted Contributor

I just bought a new range last spring and love it. It is a Frigidaire Gallery that was purchased at Home Depot. It's this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-30-in-5-0-cu-ft-Gas-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-...

One of the features is its convection oven, although you have the option to cook using the traditional method, whatever that's called. I had never used a convection oven before buying this one, and I am happy to say that I like it and use it--it's very easy and saves time.

I did not buy this range for the convection oven, but it had all the features I wanted plus some and was the only one that had everything I wanted and was under $1000. I haven't been disappointed. Did I mention I love it? {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Frequent Contributor

I love my convection oven. It's wonderful when baking breads, cakes and cookies. Everything bakes evenly and you don't have to rotate your pans like you have to do sometimes in a regular oven.
Super Contributor

Mine is regular or convection. I used to use convection only for baking, but now that is all I use. I set the oven 25 degrees lower when on convection. The air circulates for even cooking, and it doesn't get smokey if something is spilled or spattered. When this one goes, I will for sure get another one with covection. Love it!!

Honored Contributor

If you set the temp. 25 degrees lower, that cuts down on the time savings. I usually don't bother with dropping the temp.

Super Contributor

I have a microwave/convection oven, as well as a convection wall oven and a Breville Smart oven. The microwave/convection is our second. First one that I got in 1988 bit the dust after 22 years. Was so pleased with it, that we got another.

I use the microwave/convection combo the most. Makes THE best prime rib roast when using combo cooking. Also use it to bake cookies when I'm only baking one pan at a time. It has the wide rack, and can easily hold a standard half sheet pan (13" X 18").

If doing two or more pans of cookies, I use the regular wall convection oven. I have to keep my microwave/convection in a place where it's on the same circuit as my washer and dryer and where I have to use my crockpots and electric pressure cookers. Means if using any of the other things, I end up using the Breville, which is on the other side of the room and on a different circuit or the wall oven.

The Breville probably get the most use - it works great when convection cooking breads, rolls, cakes and cookies, especially if only cooking one loaf or one pan of rolls. I use it for toast and when broiling tomatoes.

Trusted Contributor

I have had a G.E. Oven with convection for at least 12 years. It can also be used without fans. I would not want to be without it. I love how fast and even it bakes. Roasts come out perfect. As I said I love it. If you can afford it and enjoy cooking go for it.!!!!!!
Respected Contributor

I would love an induction stove top and convection oven, but that depends on your cooking style and where you live. If we had winters like the north does, I would have all gas, just to be able to cook in the winter if not a wood stove too! I have all electric, but we don't get that much power failure and it is what came with the house. Induction heats super quickly, boils water in 90 seconds, and is very safe so you don't sit a hot pad on the stove and it lights up. I do like how gas is off when it is off. Electric doesn't stop heating so you have to be mindful to take it off the heat. Induction is off when it is off. Convection is AWESOME! My aunt has one and it makes the best turkeys, chicken, roasts....anything really because of the circulating air not drying out the meat like a traditional oven. We have a huge box of a microwave/convection oven that is still going strong from 1983. It probably gives off enough radiation to power a small country, but it does make an awesome turkey breast and works like a regular microwave still! When mine dies, and it has to die, I'll get the best I can afford at the time, because we are all dreamers until the pocket book decides not to agree with your dreams.