Valued Contributor

Re: Nabisco Graham Crackers..had one lately?

I was thinking, maybe if consumers would start writing to companies, expressing their dislikes, maybe they would listen?  Especially when it comes to sizes of things.  More than one recipe has been ruined due to changes in the amounts in the containers. 

Respected Contributor

I think the taste and texture,along with the amount in the package , changed when they removed the trans fats from them.  Sure it might be better for our body,but it tastes like cardboard.

Trusted Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

I think the taste and texture,along with the amount in the package , changed when they removed the trans fats from them.  Sure it might be better for our body,but it tastes like cardboard.

Yes, I even noticed this with other name brand crackers that you would use to put cheese spread/cheese on.

My DH picked some crackers up at the store over the holidays. You know how the stores all put them on sale for this reason at the holidays. 

Well, I was looking forward to using them for this reason, and I wanted to use them for cheese and crackers, so I got out some of the buttery flavored rectangular ones.

I couldn't believe how these have changed. Smiley Sad Smiley Surprised

These were literally breaking apart as I tried to put cheese spread on them. They never used to be like this, either. I was really disappointed in this particular type of cracker. 

Honored Contributor

Many food manufacturers have been quietly cutting back on the amount of sodium in their products.  They don't advertise the fact - I'm not sure why.  Maybe they fear a negative backlash though I think there would be some positive reaction as well. They must figure it's best to lay low.

Respected Contributor

I've been so out of the loop but just read a lot of Nabisco products are or being moved from here in the US to Mexico, I can't believe the Company doesn't realize that the consumer does know the difference.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@birkin baby wrote:

Yes, I even noticed this with other name brand crackers that you would use to put cheese spread/cheese on.

My DH picked some crackers up at the store over the holidays. You know how the stores all put them on sale for this reason at the holidays. 

Well, I was looking forward to using them for this reason, and I wanted to use them for cheese and crackers, so I got out some of the buttery flavored rectangular ones.

I couldn't believe how these have changed. Smiley Sad Smiley Surprised

These were literally breaking apart as I tried to put cheese spread on them. They never used to be like this, either. I was really disappointed in this particular type of cracker. 

I bought some of those recently, too. They broke apart while I was spreading pimento cheese on them.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's makes a great graham cracker - I especially like their cinnamon graham version. You can REALLY taste the graham flour.

Respected Contributor

Yep, graham crackers  are now horrible. I am old enough to remember when "Vanilla" wafers were converted to "NIlla" (no vanilla in them) and they were like baked foam instead of like a cookie as they had been.

Much has recently be been destroyed to either save on rising costs or on calories. Seagram's Gingerale now hides Splenda in it (to cut calories, even though it is not sugar-free)  Swiss Miss also had it added (gross) and I forget but a few other things I tried have been "new and improved" (not) and are on my "avoid" list.

Costs have been rising on raw materials for food so high (not helped by alcohol used in gasoline, a useless thing especially with the lowered oil prices) that makers have had to find ways to cut costs or else raise prices past where people will be willing to buy.

Oh, I remember now. I had the smallest size Wawa hoagie after a six month "no hoagie" spell. One slice (thin) of meat and one of cheese. I got a mouthful of lettuce, one slice of tomato. Not what I was used to. They go on the "nevermore" list as well. 

Contributor

Once in a while for a treat I would pick up Nabisco PinWheel cookies. They have totally remade this cookie with really bad cheap chocolate.  I emailed the company and they sent a free $4.99 coupon for a Nabisco product   I wonder what is going on at this company.  They are destroying all their products that we have bought for years.  What a shame!

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I'm so tired of these companies cheating the consumer!

Prices go up, but that's not cheating.  The package states the weight of the product, so yes, we get less even when the packaging is the same size.  But getting less just means the price has increased.  Rather than keeping the weight the same and increasing the price, the producer has chosen to keep the price the same and decrease the weight.  It's not cheating.  The info re:weight is right there on the package.