Respected Contributor

Re: My version of Sweedish (sp?) meatballs

@phluphy wrote:

Used to make these for Christmas, being my Husband was Swedish.  Everyone loved them, had some allspice and had beef and some pork too, 1/8 tsp. ginger,  grated onion also.

I browned mine on the stove, then added flour to pan with some beef broth until it thickened.  I also added currant jelly to the gravy, added a nice touch.  Hard to find though.

Served mine with buttered noodles.  They were delicious.  Enjoy!!

@phluphy

Your recipe is similar to mine except I use a little nutmeg.  Sometimes I'd add sour cream to the sauce or gravy.

My meatballs were small as opposed to my Italian meatballs.  Using sausage instead of pork will give a different flavor.  Most sausage has garlic, sage and fennel, as well as some "other" stuff. 

Respected Contributor

Lol, no sausauge in Swedish meatballs.  Google is your friend..hint its all in the gravy. A little nutmeg and cardamon.  I use beef only.  Over noodles its delish.

Respected Contributor

i buy frozen swedish meatballs from stop@shop, shaws or bjs.there really good. we use brown gravy over noodles or rice. i know the gravy isnt traditional but it comes out really good. and we live in ri so if you never hurd of those markets.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm half Norwegian heritage, and grew up around a lot of Scandanavians. The Swedish meatballs were always made with beef - never pork sausage (although that may have been what was common in my community). Also, the meatballs had sweeter spices like allspice, as opposed to the spices in pork sausage. The "gravy" always had a cream or half and half base similar to a white sauce, with a little beef buillon added and nutmeg. And always served over flat noodles. I agree with the one comment that suggested you search the internet for a true Swedish meatball recipe, although many people use cream of mushroom soup, but it really isn't the "real stuff"!

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I also add a little nutmeg...the sausage in my recipe is 1/4 lb and not italian sausage, just plain.  I have the butcher grind it twice a finer grind,  This is an old recipe from Sweden.  Yes I would also put some sour cream in the gravy too.   Thanks for the reply.  Love sharing recipes.

Trusted Contributor

I have an original Swedish cookbook with many wonderful recipes I made for my Husband.  They do have the meatballs with pork, not italian.  Just want to make that clear.  You can elimante the sausage but I have always made mine with just a little.  Also serve them with Ligonberries...sooooo good.

Honored Contributor

i have never heard of swedish meatballs made with sausage (pork yes).....but they may taste great!

i LOVE the swedish meatballs from IKEA and of course, there is a recipe for them:

http://www.food.com/recipe/ikea-swedish-meatballs-294387

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein