Respected Contributor

When replacing a toaster, I suggest not going cheap.  I don't trust cheap.  I've had a Breville, the long two slot model with the lift and look, frozen, bagel, options that has worked perfectly for at least 8 years, maybe 10.  It can handle thick slices, long artisan bread slices, 4 normal bread or burger bun slices.  It has the pull out tray.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be I have a Black &Decker , works great. I've it for about 5 years and lately that is alomg time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My toaster just died

[ Edited ]

This also happened to me a couple of years ago. I was making coffee in my electric percolator and it never perked. Then I put 2 pieces of bread in the toaster - and nothing!!!! I pressed the reset button on the wall and it worked. Another time this happened and I was told to press the button in the fuse box for a few seconds - then turn it on. My toaster was OLD - so I tossed it out and bought a brick red/silver, retro look, Kitchen Aid wide slot toaster. At the side/bottom of the toaster, u press it and a small tray comes out - which u empty. Once in a while, I turn it upside down over my sink. It doesn't toast evenly --- but it's fine for me. It matches my KA whistling tea kettle.

Respected Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

@DearPrudence Check your circuit breaker. Maybe it just tripped off. And always take your toaster to the kichen basket and turn your toaster over and shake the toaster so as to dislodge the crumbs that could be left in the toaster. This really saves the life of the toaster.

@BeccaLou  You were right, the circuit breaker tripped!  Thanks HeartThere were some crumbs in there but not a large amount.  I've kept it pretty clean all these years.  I am concerned about the breaker tripping so will probably buy a new toaster anyway.  I'm the type to have nightmares about the toaster starting the place on fire.

@DearPrudenceIf you have an air fryer, do your toast in it....I do not have a toaster and/or a toaster oven...I use my air fryer to do toasting!