Valued Contributor

Re: My kitchen organizing & purging is almost done🎉🎉

I need to purge myself of appliances I don't use. Those Dollar Store or TJ Maxx runs get me items I use once and push to the back of the cabinets. I have two new skillets, yet use my old faithful that has nothing wrong with it. Cleaning out  to donate old stuff can be harder than one thinks.

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I need to purge myself of appliances I don't use. Those Dollar Store or TJ Maxx runs get me items I use once and push to the back of the cabinets. I have two new skillets, yet use my old faithful that has nothing wrong with it. Cleaning out  to donate old stuff can be harder than one thinks.

A few years ago I went through all the small kitchen appliances and got rid of a lot of them that were taking up so much room - blender, food processor, waffle maker, sandwich maker, rice cooker, Foreman grill, 12 cup coffee maker.

I have never once said, gee I miss not having them.

I kept the toaster, immersion blender, hand mixer, crock pot and 4 cup coffee maker.

The only two I have added since that big purge are a Keurig and the KitchenAid Mini.  They are out on the counter/cart and do get used.  

While I do like the Keurig for that one 1 cup of coffee when it decides to die I'm not going to replace it.

Frequent Contributor

I would like to downsize as well.  A lot of my kitchen stuff is still like new so I really don't want to just donate.  I would like to find someone to help me sell it ....any ideas from the group?  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Can you have a garage sale? I know people won't pay well for even like-new items. But get a few bucks rather than give away. I live in an apartment, so hard to have a sale. I have to find a way though.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I never take any food items close to expiration date or expired! If I wouldn't use it I don't want anyone else too! (Food related)

As for the sprinkles out to the garbage men they went! The unopened & sealed ones I kept.  I went from 3 storage drawers to 1. 

At first thought I'd give unopened ones to DILthen thought I bought her KA stand mixer for shower gift (7 yrs ago) it's still in box🤔😳so I highly doubt baking cookies in her sight!!! Lol

Thanks everyone for you kudos & thoughts....wish I really "lost" pounds I threw out in bags.

Although, lesson learned as I get older "less is definitely more" lately!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

homedecor

It is really hard when we turn a corner @homedecor1, to scale back in certain things. 

Life changes. We go from baking for a family, school functions, many neighbors and friends, church functions.....to all of a sudden, looking in that cupboard and wondering why we have all those supplies that we haven't used in years!

I have one shelf in my small spice cupboard that was dedicated to the sprinkles and toppings like you described. It was jammed, and a couple of years ago, I went through and it and discarded over half of what was there. 

I no longer need things geared to grade school children, but hadn't come to that realization until I took a closer look. Gone are the cookie/cake decorations that are geared to Halloween, school (had little yellow buses!!) and other kid friendly themes.

It was a little sad, to know I was moving on to a different 'place' in life, but really freeing to see an organized and simple 'sprinkle' shelf now!

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

Can you have a garage sale? I know people won't pay well for even like-new items. But get a few bucks rather than give away. I live in an apartment, so hard to have a sale. I have to find a way though.

@LisaMofSLC

Oh how I wish I could have a garage/yard sale! Unfortunately, I live in a gated community with very strict rules about this.  Every April they have huge 3 day community sale (people line the road for hours just to get in). We can have a home estate sale only if approved by BOD.

I did it 3 years ago & did great __ of course, most items were "gently" used or new in boxes.  And I marked to sell, i.e., 8 qt LeCrueset style cast iron oval I wanted but to heavy to use - sold for $80 when I paid $200!

I told my spouse I should have pre-estate sale!!! I just might in October😉

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

so true!!!

Hope weather is better in your area & nothing damaged. I know you enjoy CIJ so I hope you get a few minutes to relax & enjoy!

Valued Contributor

To all of you that have an unused Kitchenaid mixer:   Letting the mixer sit idle can cause the grease in the housing to leak out over time.  I turn on my mixer once each month and let it run for a few minutes to ensure that the grease maintains its integrity.  I read on these boards many years ago that letting one sit unused usually results in problems.  For the DIL that has one sitting in a box unused for 7 years--it will probably need repairing before it's ever used.  Such a shame that she didn't appreciate the great gift you gave her. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean about times changing and you no longer bake for bake sales, etc.  I cook for just myself and have to learn not to stock up on so many items that I find expire before I can use them.  I enjoyed baking for a place here that serves meals to anyone in need of a meal, but now they cannot accept homemade items so I'm out of a "job" on that.  I so enjoyed doing it.    I purged some expired items today.  Didn't realize they were so old.    Also, donating a lot of extra kitchen towels, pot holders, etc.  I don't need such an assortment.    Have no appliances to part with now.  In the past have donated G. Foreman grills, Popeill pasta machine, individual sandwich grill and other "gadgets" that  I didn't use much.    Loving my Air Fryer and use it at least 4 times a week. 

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

@LisaMofSLC, You know you hit the nail on the head.  If before a purchase is made, think of 3 places to wear any article, then decide and other than that, ask if you can get back what you bought it for in a garage sale.  If you don't do garage sales, think long and hard. That's so much easier than having to store, sell, give it away, or whatever. 

I have learned it's the fun of the shop, not the receiving of said item as much.  Downsizing, is a lot of work, as are garage sales.  Shop just don't order.  LOL.