Esteemed Contributor

Re: My husband has been in the kitchen...

@Desertdi wrote:

I use an embroidery scissors to shell and devein shrimp.    It goes fast.

@Desertdi

I can see that as being an excellent tool for the job.  fortune's unfortunately, my embroidery scissors are made in Italy and cost me quite a bit.  I love to use my bird beak knife for the job.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

DH is messy but he's one heck of a good cook so anytime he chooses to feed me I'm all for it.  I get so tired of thinking about what to have, thawing something out, fixing it every night.  He has no prob getting in there and going at it.  I almost don't care how messy he is, almost.  LOL

AND I do applaud any man who gets in the kitchen, knows what he's doing, and creates a great meal.  I blame all mothers everywhere who does not teach their boys how to cook - and I'm not talking about JUST making a pot of coffee or boiling water!!! 

IMO men need to know how to cook, clean, do laundry, buy groceries, clip coupons!!!  Ok maybe not clip coupons but they certainly need to know the rest.

@sfnative  As for those shrimp - it's very much ok to buy shrimp that's already cooked & deveined.  It is very time consuming and gross to devein!!!

@PINKdogWOOD

I agree with what you've said wholeheartedly.  My husband's mother taught him, good as it goes, but he left for the Army directly after high school.  He did, however, learn a lot in the Army that carried over to real life.

Those uncooked scrimp are always my choice, as it's too easy for him to over-cook them.  He prepared Shrimp Scampi: a slug of butter with still over-cooked shrimp.  He refuses to ask me for advice and will look something up on the Internet, then change-up the recipe.  In my book, if you basically have nearly zero cooking skills, you need to stick with the recipe.

Tomorrow he's making what he calls Pea Porridge, made with dried green peas and a ham hock. He tops it off with raw onion right before he turns the fire off and cooks it for 7 hours - yes 7 hours.  I can't eat it...

Honored Contributor

Lucky you @sfnative if my hubby was in the kitchen I know he wouldn't be making something good like shrimp, it would be more like pb&j on rye toast!

Hope you had a lovely dinner! 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Lucky you @sfnative if my hubby was in the kitchen I know he wouldn't be making something good like shrimp, it would be more like pb&j on rye toast!

Hope you had a lovely dinner! 

@homedecor1

Hi homedecor1,

I hear you!  Though well intentioned because of my really bad back, which is aggrevated by all of that static standing, I kind of end up with a cholesterol bomb most of the time.  That scampi had one cube of butter in it!  I got a papertowel and sopped up about 3/4 of it on my plate, then added more fresh lemon juice.  Success!

Trusted Contributor

My husband can cook and he knows how to clean up afterward, too. His mother didn't teach him. I did. Sure, he's slower at doing things than I am. Sure, he's more messy than I am. It doesn't matter. What matters is that he cares enough to do it. I guess I'm just lucky.

Our son is the chief cook in his family. He and I cooked together from the time he could stand up on a chair at our counter top. We cooked, we baked. As he got older, he learned more and more. To this day, he makes better fried chicken than I do (no, we don't have it often, but it's fine to enjoy it once in a while). He makes a wonderful loaf of bread. He can probably cook pretty much anything. For our DIL's birthday, he always makes her a special dinner, complete with a homemade dessert. (She loves peanut butter, so his birthday dessert for her is always something with peanut butter.)

I'm a Grandma now and I do the same with our grandchildren that I did with my son. They spend a day with Grandma and we bake something. We cook something. And we have fun doing it. Sure, the kitchen looks like a hurricane hit it when we're finished. That's minor stuff. And we all work together to clean it up when we're done.

It's important that we teach our kids how to cook, whether they are girls or boys. Boys need to know how to cook, how to do laundry, how to sew a button, etc. just as much as girls do.