Respected Contributor

Re: My first organic free range turkey: what do I need to know?

Thanks CB! For my B day, my DH gave me a complete set of AB's books: I will look it up....now tell us about your goodies. I am diabetic now and I am living vicariously through my friends when it comes to confections. These days, my "vice" is a square or two of Lindt 90% cocoa that I enjoy immensely with a good cup of Joe! On days when I'm really being bad a little square with a sip of Ruby Port is delectable.....and of course, a few crunchy almonds are welcomed to my gustatory pleasure! Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I hope she won't mind me talking about this.  I think we've talked about it here in the past.

She and I both LOVE coconut!   She sent me the Smith Island coconut cake (it's a bakery in Maryland).   Love love love!  She sent me that one last year and I coveted the heck out of that baby! Smiley Happy

She also sent me some ice creams from McConnell's in Santa Barbara.  O-MG - coconut heaven.  One is coconut cream.  One is toasted coconut almond chip.  One is marionberry lemon.    

I honestly do not have words for how spectacular these ice creams are!  Seriously.   First I tried the toasted coconut almond chip and, at that point, I was ready to die a happy chicken.  Then I tried the coconut cream and it, in its own way because it was also coconut-intense, was beyond amazing.  I was slightly skeptical on the last one but I do love lemon.  it was so amazing!  I learned that marionberries are like blackberries so that helped.

I grew up in CA so blackberries were everywhere along the roads and highways.  We would each be handed a big pot and in the car we went to pick blackberries along the road.  Even after that, not the greatest, experience I do love blackberries.  It was the most interesting combination with lemon but it was positively divine.   I'm hooked!

Respected Contributor

CB, it sounds spectacular! I too, love coconut! We have quite a few trees, but unfortunately, the only time I get them is when the tree surgeon trims the trees: you don't want those around during the summer when we can get high winds. They are edible in just about all stages of growth, and I have had the opportunity to sample: I haven't met one that I didn't like!  I bet the cake is wonderful.....and I am sure the ice cream is divine. My daughter recently bought this superb ice cream made from coconut cream( I don't have any right now, but I think it's by SoBe). I love it, and it meets my criteria for a safe treat. Tomorrow morning, I think I will treat myself to a little unsweetened coconut and some almonds or walnuts in my oatmeal.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Poodle - you actually have your own coconut tree?    I'm sooooo jealous!!  I want a coconut tree.  Smiley Sad  I don't live in a tropical climate, or anything close to that, so it would never work.  But I'm still jealous!

I have another good friend who hates coconut as much as Shoekitty and I, and you, love it.     I love coconut with chocolate (milk chocolate is my preference) and I love it in a cake and ice cream.   

Coconut is good for you, right?  RIGHT!   Smiley Happy   No matter that I'm eating sugar-loaded coconut.   ha!    I am so hooked on these McConnell's ice creams that it's scary!    If I ever get to Santa Barbara again (love it there!), I'm going to have to find that place.

Respected Contributor

I have two tablets with front and rear facing cameras:I bought the darned things so I could join the rest of the computer savvy world and share my pictures-but I have yet to learn how to use them!!!! This week, that will be on my agenda. As soon as I master how to take pictures and post them, I will take pitches of our coconut trees. Here is SW Florida, they grow wild....My heart drops when I see people landscaping and they stack the nuts in piles for disposal......go figure.....it breaks my heart. Of course, there is only so much coconut a girl can consume in a day, right? But, it is healthy for you....have you tried coconut sugar? It is not as moist as brown sugar, and allegedly has a lower glycerin index ( I don't know if I believe that) but I use it. Have you used coconut flour? I have some of that and I bought a couple of cheap e-books that feature coconut flour, but the amounts used are so miniscule in relation to the "bad" stuff ( white flour, sugar,etc) I'm not sure where the health benefits are. I will check out the McConnell ice cream however....if it can be shipped here, I will treat my family!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

CB, it sounds spectacular! I too, love coconut! We have quite a few trees, but unfortunately, the only time I get them is when the tree surgeon trims the trees: you don't want those around during the summer when we can get high winds. They are edible in just about all stages of growth, and I have had the opportunity to sample: I haven't met one that I didn't like!  I bet the cake is wonderful.....and I am sure the ice cream is divine. My daughter recently bought this superb ice cream made from coconut cream( I don't have any right now, but I think it's by SoBe). I love it, and it meets my criteria for a safe treat. Tomorrow morning, I think I will treat myself to a little unsweetened coconut and some almonds or walnuts in my oatmeal.

Poodlepet2

MAYBE SO DELICOUS(?) ICE CREAM (NON DAIRY) MADE WITH COCONUT MILK.  IT'S GOOD.  I'M SCREAMING!