Respected Contributor

Re: My first QVC food order.

@songbird wrote:

Bagels have to be oven fresh.  They start to decay almost immediately.  So you should never order bagels to be delivered.  They will be at least one day old at the fastest.  One reason they don't have any shelf life is that they are kettle boiled.  Some bagels companies skip the kettle boiling.  They are steamed.  Those bagels are fresher longer, but not quite as good in taste.  Einstein bagels (the chain) is like this.  So they sacrifice taste for shelf life. That's one reason so many Americans toast bagels.  The taste has already gone by the time they get those via mail.  Fresh bagels don't have to be toasted. 

100% true, @songbird !

I'd recently discovered an amazing bagel place just down the street from me. I'd stop early in the morning on my way to work, & sometimes buy a bunch to share with coworkers.

Once, on my day off, I was in the mood for a bagel in the afternoon, so made it there about a half an hour before they closed at 2 p.m.

They refused to sell me any bagels, because they weren't fresh enough anymore.

Instead, they gave them to me!

They were right - good, but not longer amazing.

Sorry, @house_cat . That's such a bummer.

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

I've ordered a few food items from Q over the years. Never twice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sabatini wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Bagels have to be oven fresh.  They start to decay almost immediately.  So you should never order bagels to be delivered.  They will be at least one day old at the fastest.  One reason they don't have any shelf life is that they are kettle boiled.  Some bagels companies skip the kettle boiling.  They are steamed.  Those bagels are fresher longer, but not quite as good in taste.  Einstein bagels (the chain) is like this.  So they sacrifice taste for shelf life. That's one reason so many Americans toast bagels.  The taste has already gone by the time they get those via mail.  Fresh bagels don't have to be toasted. 

100% true, @songbird !

I'd recently discovered an amazing bagel place just down the street from me. I'd stop early in the morning on my way to work, & sometimes buy a bunch to share with coworkers.

Once, on my day off, I was in the mood for a bagel in the afternoon, so made it there about a half an hour before they closed at 2 p.m.

They refused to sell me any bagels, because they weren't fresh enough anymore.

Instead, they gave them to me!

They were right - good, but not longer amazing.

Sorry, @house_cat . That's such a bummer.

that;s why they try to sell day old bagels.  Bagels go stale very, very quickly.  You have to get same day bagels.  Good bagels are kettle boiled.  Which means short shelf life.  Those that remembered great New York bagels know that.   A great bagel is NOT toasted.  It should be warm and soft with a little crunch to it.  And that means buying it straight out of the oven.  We have a bagel place near us too.  I go down there and order my bagel with what I want on it and eat in there of as soon as I get home.

Trusted Contributor

not to be negative. but here goes.. its way over priced. for people that cant get out to the stores, etc..i can see them ordering it.. its good for them.. but they make it look so good, till you see the price.. i can go to wegmans close to here and get food thats alot cheaper. like i said, its good for people that cant get out or leave their house, i wanted to try a few items, the apples is one of them, and the reviews  weren't too good.

Respected Contributor

You are so right it is overpriced but that's the downside of getting convenience of ready-made food. I'm lazy when it comes to cooking and planning meals--don't like to do it!--but am trying to lay off buying as it is so expensive.

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

re: M63330  And I absolutely love these bagels!  In fact, I've ordered them twice in the Combo.  The Everything is my favorite.  I notice now they're all on Wait List. 

My freezer is filled with QVC food, mostly the Kansas City and Sweet Sam's items.  Everything is delicious, and I'm thinking about putting the Kansas City ham on auto-delivery.  

======

@RetRN you'd like Sweet Sam's lemon pound cake as they are individually wrapped and yummy. Treat yourself this spring!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read the reviews - and they're very good.