Valued Contributor

Re: My family should have done an intervention

Ship it to me!   I own a B&B, i'll use it all!   Wait a minute.....I'm using all my daughter-in-laws stuff, that I bought her!

Trusted Contributor

This whole thread reminds me of a couple things.

Last year my parents on a whim decided to sell their home and move to Florida.  They had downsized a little but not enough to clean out an entire house in less than 2 months.  At one point my mother commented that maybe they jumped the gun because everywhere they turned they discovered more stuff they didn't realize they had.  They were in that house for over 40 years.

My MIL on the other hand - we are constantly asking her to downsize and get rid of things in her house.  Alas she has an emotional attachment to everything so we will have a lot of work on our hands when she is gone.

For both of these reasons I'm trying really hard NOT to have a lot of stuff in my house.  I purge things all the time (except for my dish obsession I posted earlier).

Respected Contributor

My upper cabinets have things I don’t use much.
I too have a bundt pan and angel food that I haven’t used in years. But maybe I will have more time now that not working but....
I have almost filled my new cabinets with exception of one drawer and the pantry. Problem: I have not put away any food yet!
Problem: there are three boxes not yet empty and s dining room table full of stuff.
Time to say goodbye to more of my stuff!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been purging for a year...I find it easier to bring in a box and fill it, then get rid of it before bringing in another box. Still waiting for one DD to pick up my mother’s set of china; she said she wants it so am hoping she really does. I have learned a lesson though...don’t keep anything thinking your offspring will want it when they are older...not true! I kept a wedding dress, lots of expensive china, two cedar chests, etc thinking all three of my DDs would want them...now they all said no, so now I must donate them or sell which is a huge hassle. Wish I had gotten rid of this stuff years ago instead of taking up space storing it. It seems millennials have a very disposable mindset...beautiful dishes are not their thing....I guess that’s why I see so many beautiful full sets of it in thrift stores. Sad. I still treasure some of my mother’s things...if I don’t purge now, am sure when I am gone the girls will just have all my stuff hauled away....☹️

Valued Contributor

i save all the containers ricotta cheese comes in 3 sizes   one day took all of them out plus the tops . i had more tops than bottoms no  idea what happened to the bottoms  i tell you i threw out 15 tops . i use them to freeze lots of pasta sauce .the stuff we all save and hardly use. was fun reading the posts     made my day 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess  That is my experience too and what I hear from so many people.  We save stuff for our kids, store it and hold onto it until they have their own apartment or home, and then they don't want anything.  I understand a lot of young people now don't even want to register for China--just one set of dishes for everyday and company.  Probably a good idea.  I have only used my China a few times in 50 years and now I don't entertain so won't ever use it.  I might have used it more, but I have a holiday pattern that I use for Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

Wow, you do have a lot of kitchen items.....are you deculttering?  I have always been frugal when it comes to overbuying....plus I did not have the extra storage space.  I guess we all have our 'thing'.  I am sure your niece appreciated the table cloths you gave her.

I have found that I give one of my nieces things that were my mom's... I wanted to pass to her so she could enjoy them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  My niece is going to be a lot happier, sheloves rooster anything and I have 2 bakers with roosters, never used, she is getting.  In fact,she and her sister are getting all my excess.

They have also gotten I don't know how many boxes of clothes and purses. I would say I'm their favorite Aunt, but since I'm their only Aunt on their Mom's side, it doesn't count.lol

Regular Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

In going through a kitchen cabinet this am I realized I had 4, yes 4, 9x13 pans. Who needs 4. If if I do a casserole and a cake in in the same day, I don't need 4.

I have 2 sets (16 total) Temptation dessert plates, I've used them twice in 8 years. 

I have 2 Temptaion Old world pitchers,a blue and a yellow, couldn't decide. I bought them to use for flowers. They do look nice on my window sill w/a nice flower arrangement, but I actual vases.

I have 10 mixes bowels plus two for my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I have never used 10 mixes bowls in one day in 50 yrs. of marriage. Ever.

Lock n Lock, don't ask.   Placemats, don't ask.

I have more dish clothes and dish towels than any sane person needs. Last year I gave my niece 10 table clothes and just kept a white one.

There is more but I am depressing myself.  The aggravation of storing it now and weeding it out outweighs any happiness all that stuff may have given me.

I think that I have you beat, believe it or not..

Two airfryers plus the foodi, PLUS 6 pressure cookers

4 different sets of cookware.

3 countertop ovens.

3 coffeemakers

More tools than I can count.

5 multi cookers PLUS 2 instapots.

3 food savers

4 sets of dishes plus more table cloths, placements and kitchen towels to match.

And Temp-tations.. so many things from Tarra

I could go on and on.. but I do enjoy everything that I have

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow what a timely post!

I am single age 63, no kids, one sister with no kids. No other relatives.

Last year ( 2018) I did a "Year of NO purchases". (Except for groceries).

I used things up. I ate ALL the stuff in the freezer and all the  pantry items.

Every time I "needed" something that I didn't have, I STOPPED, and asked myself:

"What do you already own that you can use that will suffice for this?"

Answer: I had to buy NOTHING.

Fast Forward one year. After my "Year of no purchases" it has become an ingrained habit.

I too have TOO MUCH COOKWARE. I love to cook! But it's only me, and I don't need 10 frying pans, 10 "Dutch ovens", a huge Kitchen Aid bowl lift mixer, a huge Kitchen Aid food processor, the small kitchen aid chopper, and various other pots/pans/ Temptations/ etc that COVER my basement pool table top

. Needless to say, I don't need a pool table either, but when I bought this house in 2001, it was fun for a while-the sellers didn't want to take it. It has a slate top.  I can't move it! It'll be here when I die for the next guy to worry about. I ALMOST had it given away FREE to a plumber's helper who expressed interest, but that went nowhere. His wife probably said NO WAY!!!!!

To make matters worse, I bought and have NEVER OPENED THE BOXES, a complete set of ALL CLAD Tri Ply. WHy don't I use it? My Henckels from 20 years ago is still going strong!

Now, I don't want to donate the Henckels, and I don't NEED the ALL CLAD!!!

Dishes. I have TWO china cabinets full of my and my Mom's china. DOZENS of dishes and bowls etc. Polish pottery that I bought ....large serving trays, bowls, etc.

I have decided that IF ( not when, because I am careful with my stuff!) I need dishes, I will be using up the "Good ones" in the china cabinets. I will not live long enough to do this. ( I'm 63). I figure even if I break the fine china ( Limoges gold rimmed and polish pottery and Gorham with SIlver edges) at least the dishes will have "died" in use ( not on a shelf in a closet or cupboard, waiting for some "special occasion" to be taken down and used!)

There's a metaphor there, but I digress!!!! ( I'm "on a shelf" too, so to speak!!!)...

Anyway....I plan to divest myself of a lot of stuff this year. 2019 Project.

Mom died three years ago and I can finally get rid of duplicate cookware I kept because it reminded me of her. The items have become "stuff" in the last three years...it has less power to evoke memories than what I can remember in my head.

It's just "excess stuff" now.

Anyway....back to my "year of not buying anything". ...it is now SO ingrained I won't go back.

No matter how many colors, now many times the sheets and blankets are stroked, no matter how sudsy the soaps, how thick the mattress,  no matter how many colors are "Excuslive to QVC!!!!" for any given item, no matter how soft and lifelike furry the throws... I won't bite.!

(Don't get me started on throws and NN Sheets and Down Blankets.!!!)

QVC and AMAZON probably think I've died!!!!

When you're single, and maybe even if you have kids today, you realize NO ONE is ever going to pore thru the stuff and think about whether I liked it, used it, whatever.

I live 400 miles from my only sister. When I die, she will make ONE Phone call to a realtor and say "sell it all and send me a check".

So ...I am going to donate EVERTYHING I don't use or need now. There are a lot of people who are not as fortunate as I, who can use the items, and I really have to ask WHY I buy so much ****** I don't need or ever can use in 20 lifetimes!!!!

...Guess I'll save it for the nursing home when I'm old!!!!