Trusted Contributor

Re: My family should have done an intervention

You are not the only one.  

I will confess I have:

• 1 complete set of 12 place settings of Debbie Mum Snowman plates which I have not gotten out in 10 years.  (while I agree to get rid of them I haven't moved the boxes yet)
  • 12 place settings of Fiesta Ware which we use every day
  • 12 place settings of Lenox China which have only been used a few times in 19 years of marriage
  • Complete set of 12 or 16 place settings plus all accessories of Franciscan Starburst place settings (which I love, won't get rid of and actually miss using every day)  They are taking up half a cabinet in our basement
  • There actually may be more sets of dishes hiding that I have forgotten about.Smiley Embarassed

Ironically when I go through cabinets and decide to get rid of stuff I haven't used in awhile, DH is the one who gets mad beause we might need it.  If we haven't used it in 5 years we probably don't need it.

Trusted Contributor

I just went thru my cabinets to clear out L&L for new L&L...My housekeeper is very happy...I bought new cast iron cookware, knowing I can not pick them up, and gave the housekeeper all of my Calphalon hard inodized cookware....I bought Curtis Stone bakeware items, only to realize I now have 3 pizza pans, 8 , yes, 8 pie pans, and 10, yes 10 cake pans, and 5, yes 5 9x13 pans...I have 4 qt, 6 qt, 10 qt, and 12 qt pressure cookers, some of more than 1, cutting boards out the yeng yang, stoneware baking dishes in every size and shape, baking stones to beat the band, and that does not even begin my numerous platters, flatware sets, chafing dishes, baking dishes, and dinner ware sets....AND I live alone, and no longer entertain, and have not for over 12 years!!!! I need that intervention along with you!!!! When does your group meet??

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

I am in the process of cleaning out. My husband keeps telling me why we may it. When he is out I can get rid of some things.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday cleaned- and for the first time ever- organized the junk drawer!

It is now Instagram-worthy,LOL! 

Found 3 additional pairs of scissors besides the two that live in another drawer and 3 matchsticks lighters. One would last me many years. 

More for my garage sale next month.

Esteemed Contributor

My kitchen is 16x24 and I have room for large jelly cabinet and a solid cherry dry sink my DH had made for my 35th birthday plus another small cabinet. Too many places for stuff.  

I have too many clothes, purses, etc. too, but get me near a kitchen related store and, I swear, my brain shuts off. Well, it's all getting thinned out. I need to open a drawer or cabinet and see some empty space. I get way too excited standing in front of shelves of kitchen towels.

My DD hates cooking and I don't want her and DH to be tasked with unloading my odd obsesssion.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @I can relate. I have more sets of Lock & Lock than anyone could need, but I do use most of them all the time. My pantry is all L&L...I use them for leftovers....in my husbands lunch box....so, they do get used...but I still have too many...and have to stop myself from buying more....I don’t know what those darn things have that makes me want more....🤦‍♀️

Don’t even get me started on bakeware....when I was working, I baked all the time for my coworkers, so they got used a lot...I bake for my husband, but not too often as we don’t need the calories...LOL...I have several sets of Temptations, but will be downsizing those....problems with cracking is an issue, so I only use the mixing bowls and the other pieces when I make something that doesn’t need to go in the oven. Okay....I’m done....so, see, others have the same problems...😊😊😊

Trusted Contributor

I'm been married going on 46 years. Lived in our house 41 years.  While I was dragging out 10 totes of Christmas decor 

Respected Contributor

I seem to go thru the kitchen every now and then and surprised that I actually keep finding things to give away or throw away. I am so bad about thinking “oh I need this for that”, when really I don’t. Use it once and never use it ever again or it may possibly not even be seen again for quite sometme. 

After my kitchen major clean out last summer, I vowed not to buy anything I really just do not need or to replace something that really has seen better days.

I keep holding on to some things for some strange reason though.

Like all of a sudden I might just possibly need it or use it one day after all?!?! 😂 

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, I came to a realisation that I  could literally haven't used probably  60% of the things in my kitchen cabinets,  closets, dressers, basement in years. Hubby says if I go first he's going to order a dumpster.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep reminding myself my Mother made wonderful meals in a lot less space and with 1/8 of the stuff I have.