Honored Contributor

Re: My dirty little frozen secret.....

I don't blame you.  It's just for a week so that's not bad.  I know people who eat that stuff all the time and I worry about the sodium content, but I know they eat the meals like this because it's easy and because of the calorie content.  

DH loves and wants full meals all the time.  I, truthfully, would love to do less a lot of times but he needs real food because he is diabetic and I know it's better for us anyway.

I would a lot of times just be happy with a small salad and fruit.  I also am trying to watch my weight, too.  Then DH gets worried if I don't eat as much.  What's wrong, he says.  Are you sick, he says.  No, I just gained weight from the holidays and cannot get it of!  Grrrrr!  He is like a lot of men --- he can lose a pound in nothing flat!

Just enjoy ---- no worries!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

I have a similar situation. My DH is underweight and has almost no appetite, due to medical issues and medications.  For that reason, I cook EVERY night (he only eats once a day), always with his preferences in mind.  I often make things I'd never make for myself, like mac and cheese, because he likes it and it helps keep his weight up. I have no time or energy left to make separate meals for myself, so I work around it and eat what I can of what I've prepared for us.  

While I am not enjoying the frozen foods this week, I am enjoying the freedom of not having to rush home from work and get dinner started. I have so much more free time in the evening. I've also been able to stay within my calorie limit because the meals are clearly marked. There's no weighing or guessing.

He'll be home for dinner tomorrow, so party's over.....

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

LOL! House_cat, tell your son to stay out of your freezer!!!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

I have a similar situation. My DH is underweight and has almost no appetite, due to medical issues and medications.  For that reason, I cook EVERY night (he only eats once a day), always with his preferences in mind.  I often make things I'd never make for myself, like mac and cheese, because he likes it and it helps keep his weight up. I have no time or energy left to make separate meals for myself, so I work around it and eat what I can of what I've prepared for us.  

While I am not enjoying the frozen foods this week, I am enjoying the freedom of not having to rush home from work and get dinner started. I have so much more free time in the evening. I've also been able to stay within my calorie limit because the meals are clearly marked. There's no weighing or guessing.

He'll be home for dinner tomorrow, so party's over.....

@house_cat 

Yup - Yup!!!  I hear ya!!!  We are in the same boat!  LOL!  I would never say anything because it would make him feel bad and he can't help it that he has medcial issues, etc.  So, we just make the best of it, right??  We are glad to have them and we make adjustments!!!  I'm glad you got a little break from the cooking though!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

Shaking my finger at you Smiley Wink while fatty foods such as mac and cheese may keep hubs weight up, you are doing him no favors to keep his heart healthy. Just something to keep in mind.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal, similar here. I cook a meal a couple of times a week and that's fine with DH. He's like your's - keep some of his favorites in the refrigerator or freezer, and he'll take care of himself! Works for me!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  Hey don't feel bad - it's taken forever and I recently (I'm in my 60s) decided I'm gonna get healthy no matter what.  Remains to be seen if I can pull it off.  I bought a VItamix and have made a lot of marinades for meat, smoothies, and salad dressings using it.  I love it and recently had to replace a really old George Foreman grill that died  - bought the cheaper version that has removable plates that go into the dishwasher. 

Hoping I continue to use both bc all the TV dinners (and I've had my share of Marie Calender and WW Smart Ones over the years) and I've been warned about all the salt/sugar/preservatives in them.  I love steamed veggies and gonna try to eat those maybe twice a week for dinner (this is the one I probably won't be able to continue).   

Good luck!