Super Contributor

Re: My bad experience with newly arrived TSV "Perfect Cooker"

novamc wrote:

Forgot to mention one other thing that makes me question the quality of the item, and I didn't notice until packing it up for return.  Didn't see this issue, because I never got around to pushing any of the buttons to start up the machine, nor did I do any cleaning on the outside of the unit.

The gray "cover" over the control buttons is loose all around the edges from the base of the unit  and looks as though it might come right off if you gave it a slight tug.  I don't know whether it's supposed to be somewhat loose from the base or is glued on and already peeling off.  Didn't stick around to find out.  (no pun intended, really!!)

Will be interested to learn whether anyone else has better luck with theirs, or whether I'm being unjustifiably  picky about  a $30 item.

@novamc1  I don't have one of those cookers.  Many items have what might be what you described.  I can't be sure, but it sounds like the "cover" may be a thin protective plastic covering.  All one need do, then, is peel it off, and all should be right with the world.  Manufacturers oftentimes seem to place a thin film over, for instance, buttons, operational panels (and screens, as in digital cameras, etc., etc.) to protect them until the item finds a good home.  Maybe this helps, maybe not.  Either way, good luck! :-)

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

@sixteencharacter, sure - I just put 4 egss in, cover them with water and set a timer for 20 minutes. Sometimes I do it for 25 to make sure the water has time to boil. Then I rinse them in cold water and put in the fridge to take to work. Lately, they seem to be harder to peel, but that could be the eggs I used.

Banana bread - I don't have the recipe with me, but I am pretty sure I have it memorized - 1 mashed banana, 1 egg whisked, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/8 tesapoon baking soda (better let me make sure on that one!), 2 Tbl melted butter, pinch Kosher salt. Mix and put in rice cooker. Set it and when it pops back to warm, wait 6-7 minutes, reset to cook, when it pops again, wait a few minutes to let it set in the pan. I alternate adding chocolate chips and/or nuts in the mix as well.

I am really looking forward to getting the new one, so i can set it for 20 minutes and let it go without the resetting of the cook bar.

I hope that helps. I will check the baking soda when I get home.

@Lisa now in AZ

@sixteencharacter

I just checked and it's actually 1/4 teaspoon of the baking soda . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

THANK you @momtochloe! I appreciate that. And I am so sorry about your sweet Chloe.I am glad you still keep her picture with you.

Respected Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo

No, the "cover" that I'm referring to is not one of those thin films affixed to new electronic or electrical items.  It looks like a thick but very flexible silicone "frame" for the digital control panel--I think it was gray on my white pot.......but color of the control panel piece may vary depending on what color a customer ordered. 

The item is already packed up for return, so I can't look at it again to better describe it.  Perhaps someone else will receive one and find that the frame is loose from the pot and let us know.  Maybe this is normal and just looks like it's going to fall off, but won't.

I will say the pot is very cute.  Specks of missing nonstick coating in the cooking pot. which only showed up after I gave it a quick sponge bath, was the deal killer for me.  I was never going to cook in it, so back it has to go.  Hope others have better luck.

Respected Contributor

I just discovered some reviews have appeared on QVC for the 5-cup Perfect Cooker, Item K44485.  (None of them are mine!).  Not very much glowing praise there so far.

Super Contributor

novamc wrote:

@Ruthie-Roo

No, the "cover" that I'm referring to is not one of those thin films affixed to new electronic or electrical items.  It looks like a thick but very flexible silicone "frame" for the digital control panel--I think it was gray on my white pot.......but color of the control panel piece may vary depending on what color a customer ordered. 

The item is already packed up for return, so I can't look at it again to better describe it.  Perhaps someone else will receive one and find that the frame is loose from the pot and let us know.  Maybe this is normal and just looks like it's going to fall off, but won't.

I will say the pot is very cute.  Specks of missing nonstick coating in the cooking pot. which only showed up after I gave it a quick sponge bath, was the deal killer for me.  I was never going to cook in it, so back it has to go.  Hope others have better luck.

@novamc1  Oh, darn.  :-(  Well. I'm sorry for your experiences -- and you didn't even cook in it.  Forgive me, please, if I forgot or missed something, but are you going to try a replacement?  These sorts of cookers are great tools (I love mine -- all four.  Hee-hee.).  Perhaps you just got a dud, or perhaps, as you said, that funny-looking thing is just supposed to be that way.  I humbly suggest giving another unit a try (and no, I don't work for QVC or the cooker's manufacturer, LOL).  What has helped me a great deal, is, one, looking online for videos by people who have the same or similar cookers; two, researching them to gauge reviews and tips; and three, talking to anyone you can find who's had the same or similar devices.  All of those things helped educate and instruct me on rice cookers -- and I haven't stopped learning and seeking rice cooker/multi-cooker excellence!  ;-)  I'd be interested as well, in hearing what others have to say on this Perfect Cooker.  My mother is supposed to be receiving one soon, so, I'll check hers out, and see how it goes for her.

Honored Contributor

A lot of the time, with reviews for items like this on a shopping channel, is that it seems like most of the people get the product, open the box, and run to the computer to tell how wonderful it is.

They don't actually USE it for a while so that they can give an intelligent, educated review.    I find that rather irksome as reviews like that are worthless.  

But the bigger picture on that is that people will see all these great reviews and buy items.  QVC sells a kajillion of them.  Then, down the road, you find out how the product REALLY is, but it's too late by then.

I've seen that happen with so many products over recent years and read a lot of posts from people who left those worthless reviews and wished they could go back and give an appropriate review.  Can't do that here, so your inappropriate, glowing review stands and more people are burned.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree about some reviews. Some post that haven't even received the product and only ordered it. I have used the products I review and have all proven to stay a good product. 

I will really try this cooker out many times in a row to be sure it will work as they showed. Those of you with defective perfect cookers need to call Customer Service to make sure they credit you for the return without charging you for it. It would be about $16.95 to return if they charge $5.00 shipping to you, $5.00 to ship back and $6.95 on the label. That is the way they have been charging my account on any returns. I don't order much anymore because of this. They need to go back to the old shipping and return fees. Returning this if not defective will be half of what we paid for it. I hope ours coming will be better than the new reviews for it.

Respected Contributor

The reviews of the product currently posted on QVC indicate one problem I mentioned with mine (the loose digital control cover or frame) and some reflect the  experience of  people who have cooked in the Perfect Cooker. 

I'm sure better reviews will come eventually, but the first 6 did not look very encouraging today.  So, no........to the poster who asked whether I was considering getting a replacement.

And yes, I've already contacted customer service about getting the return shipping refunded.  I was told to simply mark it as "defective".  I will stay on top of it and make sure I actually do get a full refund.  I have gotten full refunds in the past for defective products without a problem.  However, I've lived long enough to know problems can occur.

I will not post a review of the product myself.  I've only posted one in the past.  My complaints will remain confined to the "Community" forums. 

Super Contributor

I was tempted to want to buy this, even though I have a 6 cup Aroma rice/multi cooker. $15.00 at Walmart, can't go wrong there, I love it! nUse it a lot.

I guess I just wanted a black one. Glad I didn';t give in to temptation. IMG_20160706_140831901_HDR.jpg