Honored Contributor

I posted a while back that I recently discovered there's a Penzey's store in my relatively small town.    I haven't found the time to go until today.    In my post I asked for suggestions on what to start with.   I usually buy my herbs & seasonings in bulk from the health food store so I was looking for blends.

And honestly, I don't cook much and I'm very happy with a good salt and good black pepper.   Not that tasteless krap in the grocery store.   So if that was all I came away with, I'd be happy

One of the suggestions was to try Mural of Flavor.    I can't wait to try it.   I like the idea that you can smell the product, there's a little canister at each shelf..

I also purchased a small jar of Penzey's Pepper.   

I came away with a pound of the Kosher flake salt.

I spent about $15 and got a freebee!

I was gifted with a large jar of Sunny Paris seasoning.

I was very impressed with the selection.   Maybe I'll cook more!

Regular Contributor

LOVE Penzeys spices. So much better than national brands. I do all my buying online. They always give a sample with the order and have lots of specials that you get if you spend a certain amount. Enjoy your spices.

Respected Contributor

I buy spices only from Penzey's online now...no store near me.  Wait for free shipping...or free with a $20 order.  There is always a coupon code for a free product...sometimes two.  They sell nice gift boxed assortments too...my niece is getting one for Christmas.  Very reasonable prices, and a good company to deal with.  I highly recommend them!

Respected Contributor

I can't remember the last time I purchased spices at the grocery store. I have dozens of spices and blends, and especially like the different peppers.

Respected Contributor

I have a Penzeys a few towns over and I'll make the trip rather than buy from the grocery store. I like the Sarawak white peppercorns.  The Maharaja Curry is good, rich but not crazy spicy. Fall baking is looming so a Penzy's run isn't to far in the future!

Esteemed Contributor

@software, as a "good black pepper" lover I urge you to try Penzey's Special Extra Bold Indian Black Peppercorns.  A bit more expensive than the Tellicherry or Malabar but so worth it.  What black pepper should taste and smell like.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My knees got weak looking at all the black pepper.

I'll try the one you suggest next trip, I only purchased the small jar of  Penzey's pepper.

I had a method to my madness, only buy the small jars so I have to visit often.

@Marp wrote:

@software, as a "good black pepper" lover I urge you to try Penzey's Special Extra Bold Indian Black Peppercorns.  A bit more expensive than the Tellicherry or Malabar but so worth it.  What black pepper should taste and smell like.

Honored Contributor

I dropped and broke my pepper grinder so I've been without BOLD for a couple months.  Yes, Marp is right, there is definitely a difference.  Common blah pepper is just not worth the effort I make in cooking just about anything, no matter how simple. 

Valued Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I'm almost to the end of my Tellicherry and think I'll try what you've suggested when I re-order.  Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

If you buy nothign else from Penzey's the tellecherry black pepper will make you a fan for life.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN