Honored Contributor

Re: My New Year's Day Greens are Cooking!

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Sooner 

"And I do NOT like turnip greens by themselves! "

WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!Woman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman Tongue

More for me!!! I much prefer the turnip greens but cook the other for my collard loving siblings.

@tiny 2 Tell your 'sibs I'm with them all the way.  Don't know how they got related to a turnip lover! Woman Wink I can go the greens, but turnips themselves--no way.  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

We're having cottage pie on NY day because I am hungry for it.

We have pork and sauerkraut often....just last week, and I am not up to eating it again.

New Years Eve is always a seafood buffet....lobster tails, crab cakes, scallops, shrimp, corn and red potatoes.

Greens and blackeye peas...yuck....not for me.  That isn't celebration food.

@Carmie Where I come from it's poor people's food and for those, any food is celebration food!  Especially back in the day when greens were something you might get in the winter besides just beans and cornbread and potatoes!  

And without black eyed peas I cannot imagine what mayhem would befall us in the upcoming year!  But I won't chance it.  We are substituting bacon for "hog jowl" (guanciale) so we'll see how that works out!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   It's poor people food where I live too.  People in my neck of the woods eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day for luck.   I have a had that twice in the past month.  I am not feeling having it again.

My DH would never eat greens or black eye peas, so I don't  serve them.  I can't eat cornbread ( celiac disease ) so we won't have that.

Since it will just be the two of us and our youngest son,  I am making what I am hungry for.  I had surgery on December 13, and my DH has been cooking for us. He tries, but I want something different.  I am finally up to cooking now, so cottage pie it is.

Seafood is our normal tradition and our favorite for New Year day.

i wish everyone a safe happy new year and abundance of food no matter what they're serving.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chopsmom wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

Our traditional is steamed Maine lobsters with lots of butter and prime rib roast are on the menu here.

That sounds wonderful!

@Chopsmom 

It was...those are our favorite foods...until the water heater went late in the day.  Always, always happens on long holiday weekend.   Hope you enjoyed your meal too.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

Our traditional is steamed Maine lobsters with lots of butter and prime rib roast are on the menu here.

@Scorpio1971 Now we're talking!  Sounds delicious!

@haddon9 

It was & was a nice day until the water heater went late in the day.  😭. At least we ate a delicious meal before the cleanup job.  Happy not good New Year for us! Lol!  Hope yours was delicious too!