Respected Contributor

Re: My Le Creuset Cast Iron Broke - So Sad

Here's a YT video with the difference in sounds a cracked cast iron pan makes compared with a non-cracked one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u3tjhKRyWo

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have a wonderful outlet that you might be able to replace at a fraction of the cost.  Every outlet has different colors and items so they might refer you or you might have to call a few.   It may look like online that what is shown is the outlet inventory, it is not, outlets do not have any of their inventory online.

I ordered several items from the outlet check their website for locations), call, and they will ship.   I've had very good luck.

So sorry about your pan but thank goodness no one was hurt.  I would scrap it, you can get a few bucks at any recycling paid locations.

Accidents happen, thats why they call them accidents.

Trusted Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

how's the floor?!

@nana59 The floor is fine LOL. That would be a more expensive replacement than the pan.

Trusted Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

@mimomof4   I agree with everyone else, call LeCreuset and ask them what to do.  Also glad your dog is okay, situations like that are why I am very glad I don't have dogs tall enough to counter-surf!  Just a thought, is it possible it is just the enamel coating that is cracked?  If the cast iron itself is cracked, I think it would just fall apart, not just look cracked.  If it's just the enamel that's cracked, odds are you can still use it, but it might start rusting along the crack line.  Better to call LeCreuset to ask their advice.  Good luck!

@CamilleP Upon first glance I thought it was just the enamal.  The coating on the outside chipped as well and you can see a crack in the Cast Iron.  Then I looked again and its a 3 inch crack in the pan.  I am going to reach out to LeCreuset.  

Respected Contributor

with the claims they make and the praise they receive I would definitely contact them. Accidents do happen but then so do reimbursements from companies that care.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@CamilleP wrote:

@mimomof4   I agree with everyone else, call LeCreuset and ask them what to do.  Also glad your dog is okay, situations like that are why I am very glad I don't have dogs tall enough to counter-surf!  Just a thought, is it possible it is just the enamel coating that is cracked?  If the cast iron itself is cracked, I think it would just fall apart, not just look cracked.  If it's just the enamel that's cracked, odds are you can still use it, but it might start rusting along the crack line.  Better to call LeCreuset to ask their advice.  Good luck!

@CamilleP Upon first glance I thought it was just the enamal.  The coating on the outside chipped as well and you can see a crack in the Cast Iron.  Then I looked again and its a 3 inch crack in the pan.  I am going to reach out to LeCreuset.  

bummer 

follow up on what they say,  it probably was just one of those wierd things 

Honored Contributor

So say they give you another pan gratuitously and your dog jumps up on the counter again and knocks the new pan off and it cracks---are you going to keep going back to the company?

An accident happened and it was quite unfortunate, but if everyone dropped their pan off the counter and got a free replacement the price would go up for everyone.

They are already costly, but they aren't protected for accidents like what happened to yours.  If you like them enough, you'll purchase another one.  If you don't want to take a risk because of the dog or another mishap, then maybe you should buy something else.

Respected Contributor

Well, bummer!  I hope Le Creuset can replace the pan for you, @mimomof4 .

Respected Contributor

If a cast iron pan fell off onto the floor, I'm sure it would hit my toes.  Would be more worried about my feet than the pan!

Thank goodness you didn't get hit with such a lethal weapon in that incident!!  Had no idea any type of cast iron could actually break in a household kitchen.

Super Contributor

They may not give you a free pan, but may offer you a generous discount instead.  

Years ago, I sent a pocketbook back to Coach for a strap repair through one of their stores.  They claimed it could not be fixed, so they returned it to me with a coupon for a 25% discount.  In that case, I was not pleased, because I felt that they could have tried to fix it or replaced the strap.  For the price of their bags, I felt that the discount could have been a bit better.  I never bothered to use it.

That being said, anything Le Creuset offered to do would be good customer service since it was not due to a defective product.

Good luck and please post an update when you hear back from Le Creuset. 🙂