Trusted Contributor

My Le Creuset Cast Iron Broke - So Sad

I'm heart broken.  I thought these were industructable pans and I loooove them.

My dog jumped on the counter and knocked my cast iron pan off the counter onto the floor.  Luckily it didn't hit him.  The pan now has a huge crack.   I used this pan almost every single day so it was always out.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Le Creuset Cast Iron Broke - So Sad

how's the floor?!

Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 For the price paid, I would be sad & mad.  I too have favorites in my kitchen.  Glad to hear your dog was not injured in the mishap.

Valued Contributor

Wow that's too bad, they aren't cheap

Regular Contributor

Contact Le Creuset and see what they say.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 

Send them an email and they will advise. I believe they will repair at your expense or offer you a discontinued new piece if they are unable to. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you can't get it repaired there are other brands that hold up well that are less expensive

(Cuisinart, Staab, Martha Stewart).

Honored Contributor

I have several pieces and love them.  But I never thought that they were indestructible.  (As in you drop it from 30" height, it may crack or break completely.)

You're dog is very lucky the pan wasn't scorching hot.  That is what would shake me up the most.

Respected Contributor

Cast iron is a very brittle metal, although strong when not subjected to shock or extreme temperature changes, and it comes in various grades.

Long ago at the turn of the century, some natural gas mains were made of cast iron sections that were gunked together with putty...they were called "bell and joint" pipes..

Frost would heave the ground occasionally, and these cast iron pipes would crack and leak..

In PA, there are a few gas systems left made of cast iron, and are on the fast track for replacement with modern plastic pipe.

I retired from 34 years in a gas utility. Cast iron mains were scary to deal with in frigid weather. That cast iron could be 100 years old.

There are several different grades of cast iron too. Quality cast is very expensive and durable and is probably what Le Creuset and Staub use in their peices.

Lower quality cast, like that found in most pans that cost a lot less than Le Crueset and Staub ( that come from Asia, China) is used becuase the manufacturers specify that grade of cast iron, NOT because they happen to be made in China.

That's why they are so inexpensive compared to Le Creuset.

Cast iron lesson for today!!!

Call LC and ask if they can help. I read they are very open to helping customers,no matter where you bought it.

Was it the recent pan QVC sold? I have one of them too and I too find it's my go to pan almost every day!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4   I agree with everyone else, call LeCreuset and ask them what to do.  Also glad your dog is okay, situations like that are why I am very glad I don't have dogs tall enough to counter-surf!  Just a thought, is it possible it is just the enamel coating that is cracked?  If the cast iron itself is cracked, I think it would just fall apart, not just look cracked.  If it's just the enamel that's cracked, odds are you can still use it, but it might start rusting along the crack line.  Better to call LeCreuset to ask their advice.  Good luck!