Respected Contributor

My Lasagna was Yucky tonight

Oh my gosh, I have never made such a terrible lasagna all my life.

I used the no bake Trader Joe's lasagna noodles and they sucked up all the sauce, turned the color of the noodles and yet figuring 4 across, were unbaked.

I also used my ceramic baker (nothing new) put it on a sheet tray this time so nothing goes over in the oven and that was a disaster too, the bottom burned, yes, burned.

Maybe my heart wasn't into making lasagna today, even the whole milk mozzarella cheese was tasteless.

Great way to watch my calories, I ate a small corner and tossed the rest, just not my night for cooking and I pride myself in cooking.

Respected Contributor

Re: My Lasagna was Yucky tonight

@Just Bling.  I'm sorry you had a lasagna fiasco....lasagna is time consuming to make and not inexpensive....it's annoying to spend the time and money, heat up your kitchen baking the darned thing...then having to toss it.  You sound like you normally are a great cook, so I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day in the kitchen for you!!  Take care.

(p.s.   I like your attitude about saving the calories....that silver lining behind the dark cloud!).

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling oh man....all that work....I feel for ya, lady!  I have never used no bake noodles as I just didn't know how they would turn out.  I made a lasagna a couple months ago and for the first time it was an epic fail as my son disliked it....it happens.  I froze portions for my hubby and he ate it.  I am going to try the skillet/stovetop version next time....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

I have made lasagne for years and have never had it turn out bad until my last batch.  

I think I put in too much tomato sauce and it just turned out too soft and mushy.  That was the first time I had that happen.    

Making lasagne is a lot of work, not to mention the expense, so it is very frustrating when it doesn't turn out well.  

Don't give up though, your next batch will be perfect.

Respected Contributor

I've used the Trader Joe's no boil lasagna noodles, but when I used them I assembled the lasagna the night before & put it in the fridge overnight so the noodles would absorb the liquid & soften before baking.  I think I added extra sauce, too, but it's been awhile as I rarely make lasagna anymore.

Honored Contributor

I tried those noodles once.  Never again.  I went back to regular old noodles.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling

it happens to the best of us! A year ago my spouse said he no longer wanted "heavy" meals with that we've been eating lite.

About 3 weeks ago I was craving a good ole chicken parm, gooey mozzarella & penne pasta.  I honestly couldn't wait for dinner....

UGH it was the worse sauce I've ever made😳 I blamed it on not cooking for awhile ...I have no idea what I forgot but it was bad...

I feel your pain...and now I keep thinking what did I do wrong! 

ps: I never had any luck with those no-boil noodles always tasted pasty to me in lasagna.

(I guess it's going to be my fav family Italian restaurant take-out next week for me! I know it will be great & worth the extra calories!)

Respected Contributor

That is so disappointing , isn't it? Especially when you're craving a certain dish. ):

Honored Contributor

I never use "no boil" pasta but I never pre-boil them.  I just layer them dry using the instructions on the pasta box.  Comes out great. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I like to boil them. I tried those, never again.