Honored Contributor

This is not a complaint or rant, just a question. I ordered the My Grandma Pumpkin Spice cake for a holiday breakfast treat. The thing is it doesn't taste like pumpkin or spice. Maybe my taste is off , but everyone else agreed that is just tasted sweet. My question is did anyone else try this flavor, and were you pleased ? I have had the walnut variety and thought it was really good, I love pumpkin spice so I was disappointed. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Didn't try the pumpkin spice but sometime this past year, they had the regular coffee cake at a special price.  I'd never tasted one so decided to try it.  It must have also been a "special" size because I couldn't believe how small it was.  I thought the taste and quality was mediocre.  I could have done much better with a cake mix and my Sock It To Me cake recipe for a fraction of the price.  I'd never buy another.

I've found that other bakery vendors are scrimping on ingredients.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: My Grandma’s Cake

[ Edited ]

Interesting you should say that.

I love the cinnamon nut, 5 stars, but the cranberry...no taste.  Center filling nothing more than cranberry preserves....much too sweet.

Decided not to order anything other than cinnamon.  The most recent, received a little over a week ago, is very good.  

Honored Contributor

Never had the pumpkin spice flavor. I've been extremely satisfied with other flavors. Funny thing that @Kachina624 mentioned the Sock It To Me cake. I watched a video of Jill Bauer making that cake with her mom and I immediately thought it might be a tasty substitute for Grandma's cinnamon walnut coffeecake.

Honored Contributor

The cinnamon walnut cake was great; we loved it, just awful small.   

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   what is "sock it to me" cake?  I will do a search later, but nosy me couldn't help but ask anyway! 

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie    I believe it was a Pillsbury Bake Off winner one year.  Cake mix base, sour cream, ribbons of cinnamon and nuts, bundt cake as I recall.  Great moist coffee cake.  I feel sure the recipe is on line.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Stop and Shop sells the same cake (My Grandma's cinnamin) for $12 (at least, last time I checked)!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Yes, I tried the pumpkin spice cake several years ago and was also disappointed--not much flavor.  Never ordered it again. 

However, I love the Cinnamon Walnut cake, but haven't ordered it in awhile.

Respected Contributor

I tried it around Thanksgiving and had the same reaction. Nothing special at all so I will stick to my own baking.