Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse   I knew that they were called "pass tees" but I think maybe they should have spelled just like that as not to confuse people.  lol

Frequent Contributor

I grew up in Northeastern Pennsylvania, and these were a staple when my Mother was motivated to make them.  The area was an ethnic melting pot with amazing food!  They were always a treat!  She made her own pie crust with Crisco, sautéed ground beef and onion.  Boiled potatoes and carrots.  Mixed the meat and veg, slat and pepper, then made gravy out of the drippings and potato water.  It was one of the first things I made after I left home for my then husband, and he loved them.  Today I am Vegan, but I have made them with a coconut oil pastry crust, Beyond Meat, and a no chicken stock that is readily available.  They are as great as I remember as a kid...

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom   I did too!  🤣

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

LOL! Oh lord help me!

When I read this thread title I immediatedly thought it was about 'pasties' that strippers wear!!

I'm really losing it!

837514213.gif

OH MY STARS!!!!! SO DID I!!!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Ok, I'm confused.  I Googled the word pastie before I posted and saw pictures of what I had for dinner and lunch.I wanted the correct spelling.

I didn't want it confused with stripper gear.

Now I see pasty.

Which is it?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - Pasty = singular.  Pasties = plural

I loved these, when I lived in England, and the absolute best ones DH and I had were on several trips to Cornwall.  We'd get them from small shops for lunch.  Delicious.

It's one of the things I miss since returning to the U.S..  DH is British, so he misses even more things, but we can buy quite a lot of British food here now, even if it is ridiculously expensive.

Honored Contributor

Michigan (upper) is known for pasties. I HATE them. I've tried to like them but they just sit like a rock in me. There is nothing healthy about them. All fattening ingredients. Bleh!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2By todays requirements Yeah. but Just what you needed to get through a hard, cold days work way back when. 

Regular Contributor

Here is the recipe my family has been using for over 60 years.  We are not from the UP, but when my parents were newlyweds they lived in Madison, WI and became friends with a young couple who were from Marquette and this is the recipe that they gave to my mother.  I now live near Louisville, KY and can find Albie's frozen pasties at Meijer's grocery store.  They taste remarkably like the ones my mom made.

Recipe for Cornish Pasties

Dough:                  5 C Flour

1 ¼ heaping Cups of shortening (Mom used Crisco)

1 heaping t. salt

1+ Cups water

Mix and knead for about 30 seconds.  Let set while preparing vegetables.

This is what the recipe says:  Peal and cube potatoes, slice carrots, chop onions, and parsley.  Mix vegetables with 2 pounds of raw ground beef , 1 package of onion soup mix, and salt and pepper.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t say how many potatoes, carrots, or onions but Mom thinks probably 1 onion, 3 carrots and 2 or 3 potatoes, depending on their size. 

Divide pastry into 10 portions and roll out to 8-10 inch circles.  Please 1 cup filling on pastry, dot with butter and fold pastry over and seal the edge.  (Put the filling toward one side, not in the middle, so you can fold the dough over.  You’ll end up with something that looks like a calzone in shape.)  Put 2 slits in the top of each pasty.  Bake for 90 minutes.  During the last 30 minutes, spoon beef broth into slits in the top 2 or 3 times.

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Melzie   It took me so long because I live in a one horse town in the country. lol

Scottish grocer?  I am 20 miles round trip from a basic Weis or Walmart.

That is a long ride but when responding I/we have no idea what kind of an area anyone lives in so it was just a suggestion and I'm sure there aren't many Scottish grocers around anyway, but as I said, it was just a thought.  I wouldn't have known about these tasty little hand pies either if I didn't have a lot of Scottish friends.    :smileyhappy:

Esteemed Contributor

@Melzie   My daughter just called, she was on her lunch hour.  

She works 35 miles from here and announced she found a pasty/pastie source.  Someone told her about a bakery 10 minutes from their new office location.  2 older women own it and they made pasties Tues, Wed, and Thursday.  She got one and said they were even better than the ones we had the other night.

At least we found a place to get our pastie fix when the urge strikes.