2 chicken feet or wings, or 1 turkey wing 

1 clove of garlic (I use more.) peeled and bruised

1 onion, peeled

2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces

2 ribs of celery, cut into 1 inch pieces

1/2 bunch fresh parsley, tied together with string and rinsed

1 bay leaf

1 and 1/2 tsps. salt

1/2 tsp. black peppercorns (I put mine in a cheesecloth or tea bag bundle for easy removal later.)

1.  Pour the water into a large pot.  Add all the other ingredients and slowly bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 hours, skimming frequently.  (The soup can be strained at this point to use in recipes that follow, both in this chapter and throughout the book.  Mrs. Stacey proceeds with the next two steps.)

2.  Strain the soup.  Discard the onions, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns but reserve the other vegetables.  Remove the chicken, skin and debone it, and reserve the meat.  Return the chicken stock, chicken meat, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot and bring back to a simmer; season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.  (At this point I use white pepper and usually don't need any additional salt.)

3.  Serve the soup in big bowls over pastina, rice, or spaghettini.  The soup's curative powers are released only when the vegetables are mashed together in the bowl.  Use a fork for mashing.  Use a big spoon for eating.  You'll feel better soon.

Makes 3 quarts  (12 cups) broth.

Note:  I decided to post this since there is disharmony--a big kerfuffle--over in a couple of the Community Chat threads so I thought this was the perfect time to list this "body and soul restorative" broth.

Hope all who try it will enjoy it as much as I do.  The Mrs. Stacey referenced is Guardian Angel Curtis Sliwa's Aunt Marie who was 89 years old and residing in Howard Beach at the time this cookbook was published in 1992.  If the soup is strained completely of all vegetables and meat Ms. O'Neill indicates this makes a wonderful broth chicken base for other recipes in soups and sauces.  It can be frozen in ice cube trays or other size containers for ease of use.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Favorite Chicken Soup--A Refuge

Great recipe

After I pull out the chicken to debone & strain, I break the bones and put them back in the pot to simmer.    obviously you have to strain again.

You can tweak the seasonings to your taste.

It's relatively simple and so satisfying

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 @That looks like a very healthy broth.I make soup often so will give your recipe a try.I usually roast a chicken and then boil the dinner leftovers for soup broth.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex   I often use the leftover roasted chicken as you describe.  But the penicillin recipe I listed is when I have the inclination--and time--for the real, from scratch deal--which I now have much more frequently since retiring.

@software  I have also used the method you describe, which is an excellent one.  So much flavor, depth, and richness from the bones.  I just enjoy chicken soup so much.  

And I like having the broth available as a base for sauces and such.  I'm experimenting with using sauces to brighten up my standard meal repertoire to keep it from being so humdrum.

Thank you both for your helpful, and positive, responses.  I think the recipes forum is one of the most pleasant ones here. 

Honored Contributor

I used to buy the roasted chickens from the store pretty often and I'd take the meat off, then throw the carcass in a freezer bag.  When I got two or three I'd put them in a big pot with water, celery, carrots, an onion, a smashed garlic clove or two and some peppercorns and simmer it very slowly for a long time. 

Cool a little then strain.  I'd put the bones and such strained in a garbage bag, since Monday was garbage day and it kept things neat!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Sounds delicious!  I make broth with carcases of Costco rotisserie chickens and vegetables that I save in a freezer bag (limp celery, onion ends and skins, limp carrots, etc).  Just add a couple of bay leaves, some peppercorns.  After I have strained it I freeze in 2 cup and 4 cup containers.

Respected Contributor

Just reading this made me feel all warm and fuzzy:

" The soup's curative powers are released only when the vegetables are mashed together in the bowl.  Use a fork for mashing.  Use a big spoon for eating.  You'll feel better soon."

What a delightful chicken soup recipe!

Respected Contributor

Where would I find Chicken Feet.?

Trusted Contributor

You can usually find them in Asian markets.  They are supposed to be an excellent souce for making broth/stock.  

I once bought siome chicken feet to make broth but I couldn;t get pass removing their claws (nails).  Yuck!  Fortunately, they were very inexpensive because I trawghed them. Here is an interesting article about thema and a recipe for making chix stock:  

Chicken feet stock

Honored Contributor

Who in their right mind would "Discard the onions, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns but reserve the other vegetables." The onions and parsley are the best part of chicken soup!! Yikes I would do a lot of improvising when making this recipe!!

"Pure Michigan"