Esteemed Contributor

Re: My DD is crazy, 5 Honey Crisp Apples-$9.00

@KingstonsMom wrote:

We just bought some honey crisp at Kroger for $1.88 a lb.

@KingstonsMom - That's where I did my stocking up today (well, really at Smith's, but same chain). And if anyone has a Sprouts in the area, it has them for $1.98 per pound.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I love honey crisp apples today I was in a apple mood so while in Publix I picked up 4.  Was going to enjoy them until I got to the checkout line.  I had 2 rolls, 1 jar of pickles, 1 bag of chips & these apples...cashier said my total was $23.78.  what???? I said this can't be right!  Oh yes it was the apples were $2.99/lb x 5 lbs... I said "no thanks! take them off my order no apples are worth $15!"

I later went to our larger WM they had same size honey crisp apples for $1.78/lb.  I did buy them there & boy they were delicious🙂.  

I love all all kinds of 🍎🍎🍎!

Honored Contributor

Here where I live we are having our annual Apple Festival. Its an event that draws in thousands! We went yesterday and picked up a freshly baked carmel apple crumble pie (very yummy) and a huge bag of Sweet Tango apples. Have you ever tried sweet tangos? They are soooo much tastier than honeycrisps (which I used to love). When driving into town you can just smell the wonderful aroma of apples! Theres a craft show set up along the water and all the shops in town have sales. Great times!! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

We feel the same way!  My husband has a Honey Crisp addiction to the point of making special trips just to replenish our supply.  They certainly are expensive, but very, very good.  Happy to hear were not the only ones...

Honored Contributor

I like them and yes they are expensive, but they are so tart they bother my stomach...so I need to find a different eating apple.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD went to Wegmans at lunch.  She just called and told me she got some apples.  When she said what she paid I almost fell over.  She said they are huge.  I don't care how big they are to me that's nuts.  Surely, there are less expensive apples out there.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 You should be glad she is making good choices!  She could be at Starbucks for some coffee with her sugar and fat; she could be at a fast food place; buying something to smoke or a zillion other things. 

Good for her!  Applause please!  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2Sure there are.  She's got a problem.  She doesn't know how to shop, or compare prices.  She needs help.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe they were organic.
Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

I used to live in Sacramento CA, and every Fall, up the mountain we had a place called Apple Hill. We'd make it a family trip to go and get home made fritters, apple butters, etc.....and of coure, apples of all kinds, cheap! I miss that. Wish we had a place like that here om UT. Store bought apples aren;t the same but I couldn't pay that much anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@LisaMofSLC - Just do some Googling and you'll find plenty of great apple orchards in Utah; here's a link to a few: https://www.pickyourown.org/UT.htm   There are many amazing farms and other local food purveyors in the state, plus co-ops and options like Bountiful Baskets to help you take advantage of local produce even if you can't make it directly to the source. You can also check out https://www.utahsown.org/ to find lists of delicious locally grown and produced items available in regular grocery stores.