Esteemed Contributor

My DD is crazy, 5 Honey Crisp Apples-$9.00

DD went to Wegmans at lunch.  She just called and told me she got some apples.  When she said what she paid I almost fell over.  She said they are huge.  I don't care how big they are to me that's nuts.  Surely, there are less expensive apples out there.

Honored Contributor

Re: My DD is crazy, 5 Honey Crisp Apples-$9.00

There surely are less expensive apples, but to me, nothing beats Honey Crisp apples!  Love them!

Honored Contributor

I pay more for honey crisp because they are so good, and they all get eaten. 🍎🍎

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I love them too but i won't pay the price they ask.  There is no reason one apple should be more than any other.  We went to U-pick them orchard and all apple varities were the same. $1.00 per lb.

Respected Contributor

We have a Wegmans near us.  They are large fancy stores with large prices to match.  I was there earlier in the week looking for Macoun apples but there were none.  Loose apples were around $1.99 to 2.49/lb.

I found Macoun apples in Stop n Shop yesterday for $.77/lb.  in a paper tote bag.  These were small apples but that's what I prefer.  I was glad to find them.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with some of the other posters—to me, Honeycrisp apples are worth the price (and splurging on fruit doesn't seem very decadent). Fortunately, both of the larger grocery stores in my neighborhood have them on sale this week, so I'm stocking up!

Trusted Contributor

My Aldi's had a bag of small Michigan honey crisps for 5.99.

I prefer the smaller apples because the larger ones are a meal.

Esteemed Contributor

DD loves them and they get eaten.  I have never been an out of hand apple person.  I might eat a Granny Smith now and then sliced with some caramel dip.  I prefer my apples wrapped in dough - apple dumplings.

Honored Contributor

Honey Crisp apples are expensive at most places.  They're very popular, so demand is high.  But the real reason for their high price is that they're fussy to grow, requiring more attention from the farmer. 

If you want a less expensive apple, there are many varieties to pick from, even at Wegmans. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I guess sticker shock happens when you haven't been in a grocery store in months.  I can't do it with my stupid knee so DD goes for us.  For some reason she doesn't mind, except right before a holiday or a snowstorm.

I've never been described as frugal, it just sounded like a lot.