Honored Contributor

Re: My DD is crazy, 5 Honey Crisp Apples-$9.00

i do all of my mothers grocery shopping. most of the time i just get the stuff she needs and take it to her. she never looks at the receipt.

however, every once in a while......maybe 3 -4 times a year she will come with me. she is then SHOCKED at the prices.

i would not pay that for honey crisp apples, but they are not my favorites. i prefer granny smith, pink lady,  mcintosh, winesap.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I guess sticker shock happens when you haven't been in a grocery store in months.  I can't do it with my stupid knee so DD goes for us.  For some reason she doesn't mind, except right before a holiday or a snowstorm.

I've never been described as frugal, it just sounded like a lot.  

It is ALOT !  Last week I told my husband to pick up Honeycrisp since he had to go right by the store. 5 apples, that were huge, were 8.14. I almost died when I saw the receipt .

I would never again pay that amount for apples and , trust me, I am not frugal. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I paid $5.96 for 2 lbs Organic Honey Crisp Apples at Wal-Mart. They are on the small side. I eat them all winter.

Honored Contributor

But are there less expensive big beautiful delicious Honey Crisps out there?  That's the question.  You can probably find an apple for 25 cents somewhere but all apples are not the same.  I love Honey Crisps.  Whole Foods has them this weej  for $2.99.....each.  A bargain compared to what your daughter paid.   

Respected Contributor

Costco has a dozen for about $10.  We bought some a few weeks ago and they were delicious! They were on the medium-to-large size. We purchased some smaller ones at Food  Lion, and they were much more tart...almost too much so. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD went to Wegmans at lunch.  She just called and told me she got some apples.  When she said what she paid I almost fell over.  She said they are huge.  I don't care how big they are to me that's nuts.  Surely, there are less expensive apples out there.

I agree with you on this. My DH and I went to buy apples at a local orchard. $30 for a 10# bag of Honey Crisp, it was an easy pass.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I buy the food items to stock our kitchen at work. The only apples that go over well are the Honeycrisp. At ShopRite they are usually $2.99/lb. I figure one apple is $1. The only problem is they burise so easily, you really have to pick over them to make sure you get good apples that will keep for a week. Last week the Honeycrisp were terrible, so I bought something else. Most of them are still there. Back to the Honeycrisp.

Honored Contributor

We just bought some honey crisp at Kroger for $1.88 a lb.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Honey Crisp are my favorite. Here’s a tip I put them in the refrigerator I’ve had perfect apples that have been in fridge for over a month. Before I started doing this if I didn’t eat them within a few days they started to get mushy. Try it I know you’ll be surprised 😯 

Esteemed Contributor

I still shop the farmer's market. Local produce from the family owned farms. 

I did get Macintosh apples today, a full peck so about 10-12lbs. $12 bucks. Fresh, no waxy coating.