Trusted Contributor

My Cooking Blunder Today

[ Edited ]

AFTER I cleaned the entire kitchen I decided to bake some chicken breasts.  I needed some cut-up meat for casseroles, etc.

I usually get the cut-up rotisserie chicken at Costco, but I've been staying away from the store as there are just too many people there and I just don't feel comfortable.

I looked at a U-Tube video of taking boneless chicken breasts, rubbing in some olive oil and adding salt and pepper  - bake for 20 minutes at 425.  Sounded easy enough, but oh my what a mess!!

My whole oven got splattered with the olive oil, when I took the pan out of the oven the oil was still splashing and got all over the top of my stove and the counter.  

Everything was soooooo greasy from the splattering olive oil.    Took two loads of  dish water to clean up the pans, counter, etc.  Then I had to tackle the oven.   

After all of that, the chicken was so dry and does not even look appealing.  I did not care, I cut them up - put them in freezer bags and that's it - I was done!!!!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention while they were in the oven 2 of our smoke detectors went off too!!

Honored Contributor

Re: My Cooking Blunder Today

Covering things going in the oven helps. Even when a recipe says to bake uncovered, I generally cover it for at least half the cooking time so the top doesn't get too crunchy.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing your blunder. I have some chicken breasts marinating now and will cook them on top of stove with a lid. Sorry you had to clean up such a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

The temp of 425 was the problem - then the oil added to the pending disaster.  I read that recipe or saw it...and just said to self....no way.  Perhaps a light oil rub is okay but the temperature is not.

I'm steady with baking chicken....it's 375 or I don't do it (as suggested).

However...........if crispy skin is a must - then higher temps are necessary.  I remove skin - crispy or not....so 375 - 375 - 375.............LOL

Honored Contributor

When I need a lot of cooked chicken, I throw some frozen breasts in the pressure cooker for 20-25 min covered in water and they're done with no mess except for the pan.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop Sending you a good try hug !Heart