Honored Contributor

My Circulon "glass" lid shattered

I bought this set of hard anodized Circulon last year, at least 6 months old.  It had an 8 quart stock pot and a couple other unique sizes and shapes.  Anyway, I was simmering some potatoes in the three quart sauce pan (low boil) and the lid just shattered into thousands of pieces.  It held together like a windshield.  I know QVC only guarantees their own line, but I'm posting this as a warning.  I think this "glass" is the type that is shattering in the oven from other bakeware lines. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My Circulon "glass" lid shattered

@depglass I once had that problem with a product from hsn and they sent out an all metal lid to replace.I prefer the metal lids since that incident as My lid exploded and glass got in my face.

Respected Contributor

Wow, that is scary. Never had that happen, thank goodness. Once I dropped a glass Corning Ware top on our ceramic tile kitchen floor. A mess to make sure I had all the glass picked up. Was able to order a replacement on line.

Honored Contributor

Wow, scary indeed!  Did that happen as the lid was on top of the pot?  Or was it set onto a cold, hard surface?   Either way, scary, but if it happened while it was on the pot - that is very bad!

I sure wish all glass items for cooking/baking had to be made of borosilicate glass or whatever type of glass can properly temper the heat.  I guess the other types of glass are cheaper.

Glad it stayed contained and you didn't get hurt!

Honored Contributor

I had that happen to the lid of a slow cooker.  Must have been thousands of pieces.

Respected Contributor

@depglass  Why don't you get in touch with Circulon? 

I have a set of Circulon Symmetry which I bought over a year ago (not QVC).  I love this set.  So far I haven't had any mishaps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lid was on pan at time, no unusual activity by me, I just happened to be standing close by.  I didn't contact Circulon because I figured there is no warranty, but I suppose I should try.  I do remember the bakeware companies denying there was even a problem. 

Edit:  I called and they have a lifetime guarantee, how nice.  Now I have to find where I stashed the lid, hope I didn't trash it yet.  They will take a photo or the physical lid mailed to them.