1 egg

2 slices white bread

1 med onion

a package of sliced mushrooms

1 packet McCormick brown gravy mix

1 Tbs worcestershire sauce

baking pan, oven 375

Method:

In a food processor or somehow, chop fine the onion, the bread, about a handful of mushrooms. In a large bowl, add the meats, the chopped mixture, the egg and mix well (use well-washed hands if you can, mixes better.) Shape into loaf in your baking pan, bake at 375 for about 45 min.

Gravy:

Saute the rest of the sliced mushrooms until softened and make the gravy according to directions. Mix in the mushrooms. Serve slices of meatloaf with the gravy along with baked Yukon golds or mashed potatoes.

Valued Contributor

YUM!! Thanks, Campion, sounds good! I am soooo tired of the ketchup and tomato sauce recipe. This will be my new "go to" recipe.Smile

Respected Contributor

I was surprised how much I like this. It's a bit like "diner" meatloaf. Which is what I was aiming for-more savory, less sweet.

I adapted a recipe from Cooks Country--did not like the dried porcini in the recipe as they are expensive and what's the point if you are rehydrating them? Yes, they are very savory but I'm not a fan of dried mushrooms. I thought diced baby bellas (which is what I used) would provide as much taste and you could use the same package for the gravy.

They did recommend including ground pork which I think is a good idea for the texture.

They didn't use bread--but that is what is common around here for meatloaf.

Anyway, I was quite pleased with it.

Honored Contributor

I've used Ann Landers recipe with the Lipton Onion Soup for years. Venturing out I tried a ketchip glaze, but I just can't stand the sweetness. So this will be my next experiment.

Honored Contributor

I haven't made meatloaf in ages but the recipe I made up, years ago, has mushrooms in it. I think mushrooms are an excellent addition to meatloaf. I also would cut some extra sharp cheddar into little cubes and mix that in. But the mushrooms had to be added last and gently folded in so that they weren't crushed.

I just did mine raw, but sautéing them first is a great idea! Thanks

I didn't use bread either. I would just put a handful of oats in mine. I never liked the whole 'wet bread' thing.