Contributor

Re: Mominohio's Buttermilk Sugar Cookie recipe

Thank you for posting the recipe Mominohio. They sound so delicious!,
Frequent Contributor

Thank you mominohio for sharing your wonderful recipe!! When I saw oleo it brought back a wave of memories of my lovely mother! I have never heard anyone else use that word but her!! I will make these cookies using butter & think of her! Thank you for jogging a long gone memory of my beloved mother! A joyous Christmas to you & those you love & everyone on this thread!!

Super Contributor

Thank you! I appreciate the detail. It helps!
Honored Contributor

Oleo is just another name for margarine, not something exotic.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 kachina624 said: Oleo is just another name for margarine, not something exotic.

No, not exotic, just a word you don't hear used anymore. It is a term that can help denote the age of a recipe, because the wording was originally oleo margarine, and shortened to oleo, and used more in the mid 20th century and before. In most cases, when you see the ingredient "oleo" in a recipe, it is usually an older recipe, and it was kind of dropped decades ago. It can often be confusing for young or novice bakers, as they aren't familiar with the term, or aren't sure exactly if it is margarine, and leads to the big question "can you interchange margarine and butter"?

The answer to that question is "sometimes". You will get a different consistency and even a different consistency among different brands of margarine. I've adapted all my recipes to using butter only.