Regular Contributor

Re: Modern Fridge Shopping Choas

We had to replace our almost 20 year old Kenmore side by side earlier this year.  We went to a Sears Hometown store and bought another side by side.  I can't remember what brand it was, but it was so noisy we could hear it upstairs.  We had Sears pick it up and bought another side by side, this time by Whirlpool.  It is also noisy, but not as much as the first replacement.  I called Whirlpool about it and was told new refrigerator's use foam insulation because it's more energy efficient than fiberglass used in the older refrigerators.  This is why it's so much nosier than our old Kenmore.  If I would have known this ahead of time, I probably would have paid the money to have our old fridge repaired, although that would have cost more than buying the new one.

Honored Contributor

@Bluffbaker wrote:

We had to replace our almost 20 year old Kenmore side by side earlier this year.  We went to a Sears Hometown store and bought another side by side.  I can't remember what brand it was, but it was so noisy we could hear it upstairs.  We had Sears pick it up and bought another side by side, this time by Whirlpool.  It is also noisy, but not as much as the first replacement.  I called Whirlpool about it and was told new refrigerator's use foam insulation because it's more energy efficient than fiberglass used in the older refrigerators.  This is why it's so much nosier than our old Kenmore.  If I would have known this ahead of time, I probably would have paid the money to have our old fridge repaired, although that would have cost more than buying the new one.

I kinda feel like they were jerking you around a bit.   I say that because the new one we just got In August is so quiet that you can't even hear it.  When the weather was hot still I could hear the compressor running, as is normal, but if I left the area I couldn't hear it, so it wasn't loud at all.  Other than that, it's quiet as a mouse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

@chickenbutt   What brand?

@chickenbutt wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@Tigriss, I still like the bisque color the best. We got a stainless French door refrigerator in February. I really like the appliance, but have nothing but bad things to say about the stainless exterior. It always has streaks and fingerprints on the doors.

We just got a new refrigerator in August.   My appliances are black, so I definitely wanted something black.

We got the 'black stainless'.   I'll tell ya - you cannot put smudges or fingerprints on that thing no matter how hard you try (I tried, just for kicks).

I don't know how different the regular stainless is, but this surface is specifically made to avoid fingerprints and such.   The only tiny negative is that the front is not magnetic, so my magnets and mostly magnet hooks have to go on the sides.  Fortunately, that works fine for me as the side nearest the stove is where I hang a few things and it was good.

Plus, I like the new thing with no gaudy handles sticking out.  My old one was 18 years old, from when they still had those handles in the front.   

It's absolutely beautiful and sleek.

Hi!  Mine is an LG.     

Oddly, a very recent issue (July or Aug) of Consumer Reports had refrigerators and, for the freezer-on-top models there were two LG models as #1 and #2 top picks.   Mine is the #2 model, as the #1 model was smaller, but they both seemed to fair about the same.

ETA - I had to find my file to get the model number.  It's LTCS24223 - and then there is a letter added for the color.  I have the black stainless, as I think I may have mentioned.

I am so pleased with it at this point!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18

I have the basic Whirlpool Designer Style Refrigerator in White. It will be 24 yrs young in a few months and I don't look forward to replacing it. Hoping it outlives me!!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't envy your task!

We have a very limited space for a fridge, and size will be dictating a lot of what my next choice is. 

My fridge is almost 35 years old. I have hated it for years, simply because of size  (was not big enough in my child rearing years), and it is the plain old fashioned standard fridge with freezer on top, and I always feel I have to stand on my head to get into the lower shelves and drawers. 

I used to swear at it every day and wish it would break down so I could get a new one. 

When I see the cost of new appliances and how short their lifespan, I now pray it keeps on plugging away. 

Funny how your perspective can change on something like this! LOL

Contributor

I purchased a $2800 Kenmore on that final sale section for $800 a couple of years ago.  It is the French door style.

We go to Sears because we can purchase the extended warranty.  All my appliances are from there.  Once a year, they come and recalibrate the oven, check out the dryer and washer, etc.  

A rack onthe dishwasher broke, a 10 year old KA dishwasher, and they gave us almost $800 toward a new one.  I'm sure there are people negative stories, but for us, I've never had an issue.

For me, the biggest issue was cleaning. Everything an go in the dishwasher, including the drawers.  They take up a lot of space, but most of the time, I prefer it.  And, I wanted an inside that was easy to clean.

If you get one with ice and water, get an extended warranty, as that feature causes the most issues, and WILL break.

Also, measure.  THe one we purchased fit in the spot, but the doors didn't open, so we had to rearrange the kitchen a bit.  For the savings, I was going to make it work.  And, I love it.

Oh, it was marked down because the new model had come out.  Was exactly the same except the inside light was an LED.  For a $2000 savings, LED isn't that important.  Besides, it isn't as though the door hangs open, and I spend hours staring into my fridge.  Even I have a more intersting life than that.

Contributor

BTW, KitchenAid is offering rebates on appliances, if you wind up with a KA one.  Check their website.  Also, I can't remember if we got one for the fridge, but our power company offerred rebates for some of the appliances.  I call 2011 the Year of the Appliance.  Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, died.  But, if we got things that met certain energy effeciency requirements.