Respected Contributor

Ming Tsai Technolon + cookware

OK last weekend Ming Tsai was on HSN with his special of a beautiful set of Simply Ming Hard Anodized Technolon+ cookware

The whole day I watched, they showed him using it on the stove, oven and induction unit  and raved about it- I LOVE my induction unit, (and was actually hoping to get his newer more powerful one, but never saw it.). If you use induction, you know it can be challenging to find things that work on it..

Anyway, near the end of his show he had a one time only special of a two piece 11" square gill and griddle pans- well, I juped on it, as I have no grill pan for my induciton burner..

Was so excited to get it yesterday, seasoned them and went to use the grillpan on my induction burner... and....nothing...Reading the instruction, it turns out that THIS set, for some reason, is NOT induction compatible..yet the whoe other set was..Obviously they are not the same, though I certainly thought they were when watching the presentation..yes, I could send them back, but I will keep them..they seem like thy will be great to have even on my gas stove.

I am just so mad at myself that I didnt notice, or listen closely enough and got so caught up in the special...Also, the "dishwasher safe", claim, while true, the instructions say that if they ARE washed in the DW, you must re-season them each time..kind of a hassle so obviously I will wash by hand..thats ok..

Thanks for letting me vent- this is no indcitment of his cookware, BTW, just an indictment of my lapse of judgement..

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ming Tsai Technolon + cookware

That would tick me off, too. His cookware is always hyped as induction compatable.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you Mothertrucker as I could easily see it happening to me . . . I just ran and checked the wok that I bought and it does have the induction symbol on the bottom which I need since all I have to cook on is that induction burner.

I know it's buyer beware but sometimes I wish they would make things a little clearer when they're selling things especially when a handful of the pieces are out of the norm.

Are you going to send it back?

and ps, it's WP weekend coming up . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

i will keep them, (sending things back is so much hassle and they arent defective or anything)but I feel kind of like  a fool.. especially since his stuff IS always touted s induction safe and the whole weekend was promoting this exact line of cookware in  which, evidently, these are the only two piece NOT induciton compatible..LOL!

Oh well, guess thats why they were such  a bargain! And thnks mtc, cant wait for WP weekend!

Honored Contributor

And I want to thank you for reminding me about WP replacing the rice cooker insert.  They answered almost immediately but to tell the truth I think I gouged the lining when I was mashing potatoes so I think I'll just buy a new one this weekend as they are on sale (and hopefully the s&p will be free by then).  I would feel bad about asking for a replacement for something I think I did by my own hand.

Respected Contributor

Wow, that would tick me off as well.  I have a few of Ming's pans and love them and I wouldn't have thought to check either.

If you're still wanting an induction capable grill pan, check out the flip-pan over at Evine. I have the large one and absolutely love it.  When all together, it's a low-pressure cooker, but the top and bottom separate and the top is a grill pan.  Even though it's larger than my induction burner (the high power one that was a TSV on HSN), it truly distributes the heat well.  I think it's become my favorite pan.

Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know what Wolfgang's TSV will be?

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Wow, that would tick me off as well.  I have a few of Ming's pans and love them and I wouldn't have thought to check either.

If you're still wanting an induction capable grill pan, check out the flip-pan over at Evine. I have the large one and absolutely love it.  When all together, it's a low-pressure cooker, but the top and bottom separate and the top is a grill pan.  Even though it's larger than my induction burner (the high power one that was a TSV on HSN), it truly distributes the heat well.  I think it's become my favorite pan.

Buck-I-Nana nooooooooooooooooooo . . . you are not supposed to say nice things about the flip pan because then I will buy one . . . I recently made up with evine (because I had to have their dish towels/cloths which are fabulous) but now nothing is standing in the way of me buying one of those flip pans . . . I am doomed . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

Does anyone know what Wolfgang's TSV will be?

It's my understanding that it will be a his Pressure Oven.  Not sure if it's new and improved but there is a new cookbook being offered so smart money says that may be the TS.

Trusted Contributor

mtc: Thanks for the info! If you buy a flip pan, give us a review!!