Valued Contributor

Microwave w/Convection Recommendations, Please

Looks like I will need to replace my Amana over the range microwav before Thanksgiving.  I'm considering a microwave with confection as a replacement.  I've done a search here, but most info is a little dated.  If you have had good/bad experiences, I'd love to hear about them and what brands you have.  Always appreciate the input shared here.

Honored Contributor

Re: Microwave w/Convection Recommendations, Please

[ Edited ]

@Blk&GoldFan wrote:

Looks like I will need to replace my Amana over the range microwav before Thanksgiving.  I'm considering a microwave with confection as a replacement.  I've done a search here, but most info is a little dated.  If you have had good/bad experiences, I'd love to hear about them and what brands you have.  Always appreciate the input shared here.

@Blk&GoldFan.   We can only dream that microwaves came with "confections"

We hear many complaints here about poor quality kitchen appliances but rarely are microwaves mentioned.  I got a Whirlpool over the range model 8 years ago that has performed flawlessly.  I think you can safely buy any name  brand without concern.

I had a microwave with convection which was QVC's Cook's Essentials brand.  It only lasted a couple years, although I loved it while it was working.  When I started doing some research on replacing it, I discovered there seem to be many problems and complaints with the microwave/convection combo, so I abandoned the plan to buy another.  I'd buy a micro plus consider an air fryer, which is the ultimate in convection cooking.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm using my second Sharp Carousel in twenty years. I wore out the first one. I bake cakes, breads, and meats in it. When my first one left the building I had to get another one as I use it more than my huge oven.  I use the microwave to heat or reheat things but not to cook food. For cooking I use the convection. 

ETA this is a microwave/convection oven if I wasn't clear.

Respected Contributor

I had to replace my microwave last year. I was told that it does not matter what brand you purchase, they are all made in the same place. Just passing on that information.

Valued Contributor

Oops....my bad.  Of course I meant CONVECTION oven.  Thanks for pointing out my typing error and for your input.

Honored Contributor

My GF has the Bosch Microwave/Convection oven - if she had to do it all over again, she would just get a stand alone microwave. The $600 or $700 price tag is too much since she never uses the convecton portion of it.

She thought it would be useful for large family gatherings - prefers her regular oven for cooking.

Esteemed Contributor

Breville is always my first choice. It performs well and is easy to use. I love the dial/temp system that have on the appliance. I've had mine for a few years and it still looks like new. I originally purchased it for the extra holiday cooking/baking. I now use it for my lasagne, etc. because I like how it cooks the food. My oven is old and is starting to go.

My second choice is Kitchenaid. I needed a second oven in my kitchen and it had to fit on my countertop that was next to my stove. I have a tiny kitchen. I works well for the price and they stand behind their warranty. Depending on your budget this one is not bad at all. 

I like the look of the Oster double door oven. It was too large for my space and a bit out of my budget at the time. After using both of mine quite a bit, I have to say that I think the double door option would be very conveniet if you have the space.